The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Video plugin? (21 posts)

1. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

Somebody's asked about a video plugin. I'm not exactly sure what they're looking for, but I assume it's to include videos in their entries... is this possible? & if so, how would I go about doing it? I've seen mention of wp-extremevideo... is that what I'm looking for?

2. anothero
    Posted 17 years ago #

I want to use this feature as well, but I don't know if I can use a regular WordPress plugin...

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Per this thread, WP-ExtremeVideo works but I have yet to try it. It though is on my todo list as others have requested it on my site.

4. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's where I saw it mentioned, but I guess I don't really understand what it does & how members can use it... Do I simply add that to the plugins folder & the users can then add video to their entries? If so, what code do they need to know to use it?

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Here's the plugin by the way. I pretty much dropped the plugin file into the mu-plugins subdirectory, stuck the flash player into the wp-includes subdirectory, modified the plugin to see it, and away I went. Didn't have any issues. Adding the css to each and every theme will not be fun though. :(

6. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

How does Extreme Video compare to Podpress or a javascript video alternative previously posted. Anarchy Media Plugin it's called and it works. :))

7. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeh I'd like to know too as I built the Anarchy Media plugin and am using it on a couple of Mu installs. Extreme Video looks cool, especially the link in to Google and You Tube.

Anarchy also does mp3 though, and it's all handled via javascript and simple href links to mp3, flv and mov files so the end user doesn't have to think about custom plugin code for posts. To install you need to edit the plugin url variable in the script and you're done, no edits to individual themes are necessary.

Good to see you got it working samchng, anyone else had a go? Consider this plugin as a vidcasting/podcasting Lite version, if anyone's having a serious look at Podpress I'd be interested to see how they go.

8. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

hey zeug! thanks for the plugin. Do you think Anarchy can do Google and YouTube?

Yes, I am real interested about Podpress too. Don't think anyone got it done. The guy who built Podpress at MightySeek is working on making it compatible with MU. :)

9. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks zeug! I'm giving it a try :)

10. anothero
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am using Anarchy and it works great, but if it could do Google and YouTube it would be even better.

I tried to install Extreme Video too, but that work out to good for me, but i'm giving it another try at this time.

11. anothero
    Posted 17 years ago #

And Extreme Video is working, not a clue what I did wrong last time.

12. SactoEric
    Posted 17 years ago #

Since Anarchy doesn't do Google or YouTube, I'm trying to get Extreme Video to work & not having any luck... :(

13. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike,

Any chance extreme video will support other file types m4b m4a mp4. These are enhanced Podcast extensions used by Quicktime. I tried to use extreme video on an m4a and had no luck.

14. kahless
    Posted 17 years ago #

Never mind it was a simple matter of adding

elseif(strpos($url, ".m4a") !== false){
    $retString .= gv_returnQTObject($url, $wid, $hei);
    }elseif(strpos($url, ".m4b") !== false){
    $retString .= gv_returnQTObject($url, $wid, $hei);
    }

after the .mov entry. One could probably add mp3 and mp4 and let quicktime play those as well.

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

SactoEric, we can't read minds. Can't help you if you don't tell us what the issue is.

Kahless, can you drop an email to support ( at ) daria ( dot ) be with this? I need to rerelease it as I've hacked together a couple more fixes as well that I've developed. The biggest one is with Google's method of URL. You can just use the URL in the URL bar instead of having to did through the download button for it.

16. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

I couldn't get Extreme Video to work so I hacked the Anarchy plugin instead and have kmil flashembed working on my mu test blog. I couldn't get editor buttons to work via buttonsnap for gui controls, probably cos Mu tinymce is way ahead of WP, so embeds are in the format [kml_flashembed movie="http://PATH TO SWF OR GOOGLE/YOUTUBE ADDRESS" height="xx" width="xx"/].

This will embed any swf including YouTube, Google Video and iFilms.

Simple links to mov, mp4 and 3gp will play in QT, as well as flv and wmv.

Anyone interested in beta testing it to see how many installs it breaks? Download is here and install is now just unpacking the files in mu-plugins, no edits necessary.

17. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

doesn't work for me zeug, and this was the format I used:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6805063692754011230"/].

18. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Heh, yeh I love that vid, Bush can really rap it. But you've used the wrong URL, you need to click on the blue bar and get the html embed code, paste it to a text editor and then copy the embedded URL which is:

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=6805063692754011230&hl=en

That's the one that works on external sites, same goes for the other vid sites. There are some examples on my Mu blog and the kmil tags are very flexible, have a look at the basic usage options.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just tried the anachy media one. It wrote over the changes I had made to TinyMCEand it didn't add any of the button to embed video. So... still have to figure out what I'm gonna do.

20. icecubejackal
    Posted 16 years ago #

zeug, the download link you have given is broken, can you provide the correct link?

thanks

21. JuanManuel
    Posted 16 years ago #

@ice: you may download the latest version from the plugin page:

http://an-archos.com/anarchy-media-player

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by SactoEric
  • Latest reply from JuanManuel