The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade to 2.7 receive 404 error (21 posts)

1. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just upgraded my mu install from 2.6 to 2.7, and everything seems to be working fine, except for one blog is acting strangely.

The blog displays fine, as do the pages, but when I click on a category or on a link to one of the blog posts, I receive a 404 error.

One thing I must say is that originally I setup mu to use sub-domains, and after the last upgrade (2.6), I had to reinstall this blog using a path instead of a sub-domain:
    i.e., ywamnetworks.com/eurocom instead of eurocom.ywamnetworks.com. So it was the only blog with that weirdness. I even change it back to eurocom.ywamnetworks.com now, but that doesn't help.

Yes, I did put my old .htaccess back, and I went to permalinks and re-saved it so it would re-generate all permalinks. It works fine with the ?p= so I know that's not the problem.

Can anyone help me, please?

2. rudy3107
    Posted 15 years ago #

chnage u r theme, and check

or use your own another blog theme, which is working fine.

3. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the advice, but that doesn't help.

Here's my htaccess in case that helps:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can you delete and re-create that problematic blog?

5. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay, I did that, but now I've got another problem. When I try to go the the backend for that blog, even though I'm logged in as admin, it always sends me to http://ywamnetworks.com/eurocom/wp-login.php and when I try to login it keeps sending me back to the login page.

The blog works fine, minus all the posts, of course, which I haven't been able to re-import yet.

I'll try and change the url back to eurocom.ywamnetworks.com and see if that works.

6. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay, tried creating new user for that blog and logging in with that, but it still doesn't work.

Changing the sub-domain now.

7. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

So, do you have subdomain or subdir install?

8. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay, so it's like a never-ending circle.

I've changed the blog back to eurocom.ywamnetworks.com, so now I can access the dashboard without being endlessly re-directed to the login. I re-imported all my posts, etc, but now I'm getting a 404 error again when I click on a blog post, for example:

http://eurocom.ywamnetworks.com/2009/02/19/good-quotes-on-networking/

Categories are not working either. Pages are the only things that are working.

9. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

I installed mu originally with sub-domains.

10. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

So, you just go to Blogs -> Edit and change URL there?
    Do you change Domain, Path, Siteurl, and Home?

11. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes.

Domain: eurocom.ywamnetworks.com
    Path: /
    Siteurl: http://eurocom.ywamnetworks.com/
    Home: http://eurocom.ywamnetworks.com/

12. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Could be my imagination, but I have a feeling that the last couple versions don't work well with sub-domains.

13. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay, just tested another blog: http://communis.ywamnetworks.com/ and that is also not working.

14. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK, if you have WPMU with subdomains option - then can you delete eurocom blog and user and add them again via backend? Will it produce errors?

BTW, what plugins have you got enabled?

15. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, that's the funny thing, when I try and add a blog, it only gives me the option of adding as a subdir.

Blog Address: ywamnetworks.com/ Text field

So when I create it in that way, I get the endless login loop. By the way, it doesn't give me a login error, it just politely asks me to login as if it has never seen me before.

Since I just re-installed it, there are currently no plugins active on the eurocom blog.

16. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

when I try and add a blog, it only gives me the option of adding as a subdir.

This means that you installed WPMU in subdir mode, not in subdomain.

17. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, originally it was subdomain, because all of the other blogs I've created are sub-domain. I remember it well, because I had to put in a special request to dreamhost to create the dns rule since they don't normally support that kind of thing.

Somewhere along the way, that got changed apparently during upgrades.

Is there somewhere I can change that option back in the mu admin? BTW, it was working fine under 2.6.

18. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

You mean that in WPMU 2.6 you had an option to add blogs like this:

Blog Address: Text field .ywamnetworks.com

And when you upgraded to 2.7 you have this:

19. reblevins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually, my first version was 1.3.3, and yes, it allowed me to create sub-domain blogs in the first few versions. I think it got changed when updating to 2.6, but I can't be sure of that since I haven't been actively adding blogs.

20. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I really doubt that upgrade could change from subdomain to subdir...

OK, can you show me your wp-config.php and .htaccess?
    Drop me a line to venture[]maker [at] gmail [dot] com - omit all [ and ] signs.

21. thewackonerd
    Posted 14 years ago #

I had the same problem, went throught the forums but could not solve it so I emailed my hosting provider and explained the issue.

5 minutes later they had fixed it.

This is their reply as to why this happened:

"We have tighten the security in the server, so that the mod_security was blocked your sites and we have released the mod sec rule for your sites. If you face any problem, please let us know the exact URL you have faced the problem"

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by reblevins
  • Latest reply from thewackonerd