The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Trying to build my site and I am stuck (19 posts)

1. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. If it is, please move it. It just seemed the most fitting.

I have WPMU installed with the newest version. The folders and files are in the root directory with no subdomains. I have cpanel and FTP access. There are no plugins installed.

Well I am trying to set up a model site on my server. What I am trying to accomplish is this; A very stripped down myspace like page for every model. Just some basic information, an easy to use blog and a photo album with shown and hidden content for paying members only. I would like it to be customizable, but it doesnt have to be. I just think the models would enjoy it if they could pretty up their profiles a bit.

Thats the plan I have for the site, and I was told that WPMU is superior to WP for my needs. I am a pretty big n00b to this, and am NOT looking for straight hand outs or anything. This is all about learning for me, I just need some helpful nudges in the right direction because I am lost as all ever.

-Rob

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well... So, where's the problem? :) What did you already do, what's working as you wish, what's not?

3. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well right now I am waiting on my host to allow me to setup the subdomain thing so I can properly set up the stuff I need. At least I think thats what I need to do. Once I do that I should be able to do just about everything I described as far as I understand it. Am I right?

The problem right now is that I cant create a new blog/profile per user which is what I want. After that I want to make the profile/blog of each user customizable as much as I can in the ways of color, backgrounds, etc so that the whole idea appeals to the users more.

You will have to forgive me. I am a n00b taking on a much larger project than I should be, but its my own time and money wasted if it fails. I just want to learn and even failure at its worst leads to knowledge. :)

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Blogs are pretty customizable with the whole variety of wordpress themes.
    Many themes have backend options - like custom headers, etc.
    If you need some specific help - let me know.

5. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well I have a custom theme set up that fits the general idea of the site rather well. Im not really sure how I would go about doing the customizable blog thing. Maybe make the standard theme when a user creates a blog something simple like only white and blue or something. It will look like crap if they dont want to customize the profile/page, but I can always just turn the default site theme on for it I would assume.

Another big concern of mine is the models pictures. The idea is to have paying members that can see the hidden pictures that are separate from the general/basic pictures that the models put on the profile. We would like to try to make it so that the pictures cant be saved from the site so that our paid content wont find its way all over the internet without our consent.

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

We would like to try to make it so that the pictures cant be saved from the site so that our paid content wont find its way all over the internet without our consent.

This is impossible in any case :)

7. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

This seems to git our needs as far as I can see. But like I said, I dont have a clue. But it just seems that this method would slow the leaking a bit.

http://www.featuredcontentgallery.com/

Also, is there any way to change the role names and permissions/properties? Something like Staff, Model, Photographer, Member, etc would be more appropriate and easier for me to work with.

8. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Search for role manager plugin.
    Considered hiring someone to do all that for you?
    http://wpmututorials.com/freelancers/

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

besides, I am not 100% sure you need wpmu. sounds a bit like you would also be fine having a page for each model? like a profile page?

do you really need a blog for each model? aka hotchick.yourmodellsite.com?

10. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

I did search for role manager for MU, but didnt find one. Maybe I missed it, but I searched a few times. I read somewhere that it doesnt work with MU. I tried to install the most recent version I found from (http://www.im-web-gefunden.de/wordpress-plugins/role-manager/) and my version of wordpress is newer than it says it supports. It didnt activate and wouldnt work for me.

I cant afford to hire anyone. That and I want to learn. I would rather know what everything on my website does and how it does it. It would be easier to hire someone, but I really just cant afford it and with the amount of customization I think the site will need its cheaper for me to do it myself.

11. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well I wouldnt need a full blown blog for each model, but I do want them to have a stripped down blog to post whatever they want sort of like myspace has. The biggest part of the page would be the blog though. Have the details down the side in a sidebar with the photos on top.

Im not sure that WP or MU is right for me, but it was the direction I was pointed towards after talking to someone who knows more about web design than I do and describing what I wanted to do. He pointed me towards WP and someone else pointed me towards MU. :)

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

k, if you want a main blog, where you present you, your company and different info, wp is right. you could offer the models the option to publish posts, use a plugin to restrict their posting rights to a certain category and give each model a category?

there are lots of ways to approach this and all lead to the same goal, but wpmu is way more difficult than wp for what you seem to need.

13. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well all I really am concerned about with the profile pages is separate pages for each model where they have their default picture that leads to their album, a stripped down blog, and their personal details all on their page. I was told MU would be better for what I need, but I am very open to suggestions!

I would like guttercandy.org/MODELNAME or guttercandy.org/Girls/MODELNAME

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

well, that can be done with wordpress without wpmu. instead of a blog for each girl you would have a category for each girl. yo ucan style each category independently. its all possible

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Having done something similar, yes it can be done with WP, but MU woudl make it easier. Assuming you know how to do it in both. :D

16. kennibc
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was looking at plugins on this website and found some that would benefit you:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/supporter
    or this one:
    http://buddypress.org/

There is also a plugin that blocks access for non-registered users as well as a plugin for pay-pal subscriptions.

It does the profiles and blogs for each user. You can turn off registration for WPMU and then only you would be able to add new users to the system.

17. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

How would doing it with separate categories benefit me? (not nasty sarcasm, an honest question)

I dont really know how to do it with either. Thats why im here for some educated help. :)

Hm. Ill check out the buddypress thing. However, I am going to use a cc processor thingie for the subscriptions.

18. GutterCandy
    Posted 15 years ago #

How can I edit WPMU roles? The role manager plugin doesnt support the new install.

Is that the ONLY way to edit roles? If so I guess Im SOL... :/

19. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

How would doing it with separate categories benefit me?

couple that with the theming that wordpress allows and you cna create completely different looks/layouts for each category.

anyway, nobody will spoon feed you mroe info than you already got, now go and give it a test. try wpmu, try buddypress, then come back with questions :-)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by GutterCandy
  • Latest reply from Ovidiu