The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU vs Lyceum (45 posts)

1. johnjosephbachir
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm... Maybe it would be OK to use one Akismet key for all blogs in system.. I wonder if it is posible.. anyone knows?

I tried to bring this up on the Akismet list but didn't get much response:

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/spam-stopper/2006-May/000321.html

I'm not sure if they haven't considered this case or if their policies are still brewing. I saw today that b5media blog network just got an "Enterprise License"... I don't know how many blogs they have or if they have a key per blog or what.

http://akismet.com/blog/2006/06/b5media-blog-network/

2. johnjosephbachir
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lyceum has issues of installation and missing links.

Installation and missing links? What problems have you experienced?

3. ruph
    Posted 17 years ago #

enterprise akismet costs $200/mo >:(

4. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

>> What should we look out for there quenting?

see how i could run an alert box on the page?
    That means one can run javascript on the page.
    now if i know the soft and i'm clever at javascript, instead of an alert box i can run http requests on the server side. So if you're another iblogs user an you come visit my blog *logged in*, i can run the http requests that make *you* post a new article. So i can fill up your blog with my articles, my links, delete your stuff etc. There's no limit to what i can do.
    Now if i get the site admin to visit the page, you get the picture.

5. ruph
    Posted 17 years ago #

quenting .. problem is that your alert box works only in ie (also tested ff & opera) .. and until now i didn't see it either >:)

6. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm... Maybe it would be OK to use one Akismet key for all blogs in system.. I wonder if it is posible.. anyone knows?

That's not allowed, and will get your key deactivated by Akismet.

7. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

What's wrong with using SpamKarma for spam prevention? It has a lot more features than Akismet and seems to work well with MU.

8. ruph
    Posted 17 years ago #

we were talking about lyceum...

anyway.. I like SK2 and I use it.. but SK2 is a little bit of overkill for normal, usual users.. all that options are just 3much.....

Just a tought: Because SK2 has one mutual table for blacklist (sk2_blacklist) I am wondering what happens if one user marks all comments as a spam... or adds some domains/IP to this list...

9. drivencompassion
    Posted 17 years ago #

My vote goes to Lyceum :-)

10. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

>> quenting .. problem is that your alert box works only in ie (also tested ff & opera) .. and until now i didn't see it either >:)

So ? That doesn't make the site less insecure. 80% internet users still use IE, which means a malicious user could corrupt and break the blogs of 80% of iblogs' users.
    Including the admin's if he uses IE.
    You don't have to follow my advice, but if you use such a theme, you need to know that your site can basically disappear overnight from a competitor's deeds.

11. ruph
    Posted 17 years ago #

>>So ? That doesn't make the site less insecure. 80% internet users still use IE, which means a malicious user could corrupt and break the blogs of 80% of iblogs' users.
    Including the admin's if he uses IE.

I think we have a misunderstanding. I totaly agree with you. JS is bad.

I(!) just didn't see your point in your first post, because I use FF ..

12. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

oh ok, sorry about that then :)

13. johnjosephbachir
    Posted 17 years ago #

Because SK2 has one mutual table for blacklist (sk2_blacklist) I am wondering what happens if one user marks all comments as a spam... or adds some domains/IP to this list...

Some plugins will have to be modified to make sense for Lyceum. If SK2 keeps its data in its own table, then the solution will be to add a "blog" column to the table, and then modify all the SQL statements within accordingly, therefore tracking unique data per-blog.

14. DanDaemon
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi johnjosephbachir,

I tried to contact you some days ago about changes in lyceum but did not get any answers...

I need to know, do you plan to assign new version of WP to lyceum? Seems current lyceum release uses old not stable version of WP.

15. LCowles1986
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just want the most simple system, Im about to benchmark the two against eachother because Lyceum has claimed on it's website it has improved wordpress's perfromance.

I have no real alligience to any particular software as im a digital innovator so I use the best tools to streamline my development process so Im thinking maybe i'll just learn to use both lol.

Does anyone know how the pair match up to software such as drupal (hehe just had to start it didn't I :p)

Also as an issue of database design why are additional tables being created, surely there only needs to be a table called blogs which id's the blogs and allows for low level customisation of that blog surely now everyone has beautified url's it shouldnt be too hard to create a simple system hiding the id variable from php???

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by treelovinhippie
  • Latest reply from LCowles1986