The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installation problem (16 posts)

1. FreeLifeReal
    Posted 15 years ago #

I downloaded Mu, unzipped the files, loaded them to my server, but when I try to install nothing happens. I'm on the creat a configuration file, when I press the button nothing happen. Any suggestions.

2. Andrewcb
    Posted 15 years ago #

Its very rare that nothing happens. Which version are you installing? which host are you using? Have you read all the Readme.txt? Could you answer the question you posted from the information you gave - even if you knew everything in the world?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I'm on the creat a configuration file, when I press the button nothing happen."

You have another WP install on the server, and it's reading that.

4. quayrodent
    Posted 15 years ago #

This sounds a lot like the problem I was having. I've been able to install multiple single installations of wordpress with no problem, but with mu the same thing would happen as above. I eventually figured out that the wp-config.php file was not being created, even though there was no error message indicating such.

I chmoded the wordpress-mu folder (and wp-content folder) to 777 (something I never had to do with single installations) and retried, but then I would get a 'server configuration error' page. I'm installing this in a subfolder of my domain, this is an "add-on domain" -- a domain that is added to a standard cpanel webhosting package, and I think that is where the problem lies. The add-on domain sits in a subfolder of the root domain. I can install wordpress-mu in the root domain without much trouble.

After my last attempt at installing, I checked and there was no wp-config.php in the folder, so I created one from the sample wp-config file, and then checked it against the wp-config.php file from the successful mu installation in the root domain and made various adjustments and it actually seemed to install (database was populated) but after the install I ran into a series of redirect problems. I've tried several other tricks to get it installed, but I either run into a database connectivity error or after what appears to be a successful install, I cannot access mu - either a server configuration error page or a 404 page appears.

Bottom line is, I don't know if add-on domains (which are relatively common) can be used for wordpress-mu. I think these "domains" are not real virtual domains (does that even make sense) but are setup using mod_rewrite somehow, which may be causing a conflict with the way mu uses mod_rewrite. Or it could be a problem with what user php is running as, since I notice that for the add-on domains the owner and group of the files is the same as the root owner/group.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Add-on domains can't be used with WPMU. It sends it off in a tizzy fit for some reason, and yes we have mentioned this before. :)

6. jd.hartley
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you look at the source code, it says the link is going back to index.php

I don't think that is supposed to happen....

7. Scoop0901
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r:
    So you can't use it on add-on domains under cPanel, huh? That was the one thing I did NOT expect to find, especially since cPanel is so widely used.

There's no workaround for the cPanel hissy fits?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Right, but MU is server-level software really designed to setup blog farms. There's an assumption of a certain level of technical experience to maintain it on an ongoing basis. Such as one would have when cPanel is not available or not used. :) The devs certainly don't use cpanel.

Technical bits: an add-on domain set up by cpanel still have the same entry in Apache as the originating domain. Getting the wildcards to work with that requires an extra edit to httpd.conf, something you most definitely cannot do when you just have cpanel access. Basically, the subdomain request comes in and Apache just doesn't know what to do with it. Gotta be the first it encounters and with add-on domains, they're not first.

If you're using a subfolder install, you might be okay. haven't tried lately.

Given accounts can be had for under $10 a month, if you're just testing MU out, grab a second shared account. Heck, grab a reseller account and make a separate account for it.

(yes, I just recommended shared. But for *testing*. :P )

9. Scoop0901
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you saying that if it were the **_primary_** domain -- not an addon domain -- that it would/could work?

While looking at WPMU and considering it vs. full-fledged CMS options to create blogs for associated organizations, I read of at least several people using: a) cPanel, and b) HostMonster. What I read (a few to several months ago and no idea where I read the comments now, as I simply took notes on "things to consider" in terms of what we do or do not want to allow, i.e., who has control over themes, plugins, etc., and other issues) was that the WPMU sites were successfully installed and running. Did something change? This was back in about WP2.5 to WP2.7 (sorry, can only reference against the WP.org timeline, as that's what I use on the majority of the sites I manager).

I've had WPMU 2.7 installed, albeit on my site. At that point, I did create a new domain, new users, new admin. I saw the frontend of the main WPMU page showing both sites I created, and the links worked. I changed the theme for both to two new themes and saw those after activation. Was it a stroke of luck that night that allowed me to install and see those things? I haven't replicated that success since, which is leading to ... argh! ... massive frustration. :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Are you saying that if it were the **_primary_** domain -- not an addon domain -- that it would/could work?"

I'm saying if it's installed on the primary domain it DOES work.

"I've had WPMU 2.7 installed, albeit on my site. At that point, I did create a new domain, new users, new admin. I saw the frontend of the main WPMU page showing both sites I created, and the links worked. I changed the theme for both to two new themes and saw those after activation. Was it a stroke of luck that night that allowed me to install and see those things?"

I guess I'm not sure what you;re gettign at here. If it;s up and running, what's the issue? Or you;re trying to set up a new install in the same web account as an add-on domain?

On many hosts it just does not work (installing it in an add-on domain). No I don't know why. A few people get lucky, but it sure isn't consistent.

Required reading:
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation/installing-wordpressmu-the-e-book/

11. crabjuicer
    Posted 14 years ago #

I found a workaround to install mu on an add-on domain. First of all, i'm also running mu on my primary domain, so in my public_html folder, i renamed the config.php to config1.php and then renamed .htaccess to .htaccess1. Then I installed mu on an add-on domain no problem and went back to my primary folder and changed config.php and .htaccess back to normal.

mu works on the add-on fine except the 'mu' part doesn't work too well - when i create a blog on my add-on domain, it goes through and I get an email but the link takes me to a 404 on my primary site.

12. jab2009
    Posted 14 years ago #

mu works on the add-on fine except the 'mu' part doesn't work too well - when i create a blog on my add-on domain, it goes through and I get an email but the link takes me to a 404 on my primary site.

That's the exact issue I am having as well.

13. mansur86
    Posted 14 years ago #

I download MU Wordpress script and uploaded to my site subdirectory..

I rename the actual folder name to "wordpressmu"

AND

rename the wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.

modified the required information in wp-config file.
    > database name, database username and password.
    > $base = "/wordpress/"
    > replaced the secret key from: http://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/wpmu/salt

but finally I got error:
    Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!

What the problem is it actually...

Please advice me...
    Thank You in Advance....

14. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

No - you do not rename the wpconfig-sample file nor do you edit it. A config file is created for you when you run the install script. Please read the instructions.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

16. mansur86
    Posted 14 years ago #

TQ... Now I can install it in subfolder

tq for the tutorials..

peace...

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by FreeLifeReal
  • Latest reply from mansur86