The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

domain mapping plugin - having a few issues (17 posts)

1. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

the site is using inove theme with buddypress on a vps - i followed the instructions to set up domain mapping in order to run 2 other domains from one install (was also hoping to use subdomains on these domains and buddypress as well - so not sure if this is achievable with the plugin?? i was hoping to test this) however having setup the plugin and added the 2 new domains the formatting of the theme has gone awol and all links and back-end links are being displayed on the front page, the buddypress bar has gone, links and subdomains are pointing towards one of the new domains, am also having the inability to logout problem that i've read about in a few places with the plugin. basically having a nightmare.

i have since removed the plugin and reverted wp-config sunrise change - however the theme has not yet improved so am really wondering where the error has stemmed from or if the theme is fully compatible with wpmu domain mapping - i'm hoping this will resolve, but if it doesn't i'm starting to panic.

i really want to be able to run multiple different domains from one install, and also wondered if it's possible to run buddypress on a subdomain of some of them as well as the main blogs, in a similar way to the first domain, but for them all to appear as separate sites in their own right with separate themes and features. is this actually a possibility or is the only way to have separate wpmu installs and databases on my vps?

2. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok fortunately, this has somewhat resolved, but i'd still like to ask the question is it possible to run multiple domains from one install that include buddypress and bbpress, using separate themes for each? sorry if this appears stupid, i'm still learning, a lot..

3. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, why not? Should be pretty OK to go if you mean separate domains for users blogs (domain mapping).
    Or what is that you wanted to ask?

4. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, i should really rephrase the title of this thread. now i've got domain mapping working no problem if i want to park domains over subdomains for that site, that is great and works like a dream with parked domains. so that part of the thread is no closed.

now before i go ahead and put my foot in it, i want to create some new wpmu sites altogether on the vps, so have created the addon domains on the vps and copied wpmu files to their domains and setup new database, but i get the db error establishing connection when trying to setup wp-config. i want to ask you what is the best way to run several separate wpmu installs, how should i setup in the wp-config to make these installs work as it doesn't seem to be as simple as it was when setting up the first install. so advice on this is what's needed as it's the first time i've tried to set up more than one install on a server - what do i need to do differently and what should i look out for because of course the first site is in the public_html root and now these new addon domains are in a directory off there. thanks, any help or advice greatly appreciated from people who are used to successfully running this type of setup

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Running several WPMUs is not really an issue if you *install* each of them and not just copy files :)
    Is there any reason why you don't install each WPMU individually?

Also, you might want to check WPMU Enterprise - http://wpmu.org/wpmu-enterprise/

6. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

would love to try enterprise, unfortunately the link is down, unless anyone has the files or knows an alternative download

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you really want completely separate installs, or just multiple sites off one codebase?

8. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

i think ideally it would be multiple from one codebase, especially to keep interaction with the db down, though i'd like to know that i could use buddypress and bbpress as well on these other sites (i don't know whether they'd be separate installs of these). I've only been running one install on my vps so far and would prefer to keep it that way, which i'm sure is the sensible thing to do, but i think that this is more than domain mapping, which i tried and was great and will definitely have a good use for me in future. i really want to ask you what is the optimum way to do this. these really need to appear like separate domains, but with all the full functionality available. thanks again for all your advice

9. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

You want to use a multi-site plugin as well then. Have a search on this forum for Multi-site plugins.

10. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

it sounds like a plugin that could work for this purpose, but reading all the other comments and difficulties that users have when setting it up I'm not sure that I would have the confidence to get it working properly and am afraid to risk the current work that I've already done in setting up, but if you feel that it's the right way to go then I'll have a go at setting it up, but it would be great if you could point me in the right direction for the best installation and setup instructions as it seems many have had problems or not enough instruction when trying to set it up on their sites.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Buddypress isn't site-aware, so if you have multiple MU sites and BP, everyone is under "one" BP install.

So.. if that's a stickler, then you will really need multiple installs.

Which can be done via moving the files around like you tried, but you probably missed something.

12. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, thanks for all you advice, i've now tested both options, a) multi-site-mapping, which works great, but my worry is that the content of the various sites are so different, that it would be odd combining the same install of bp and bbp for different target markets, and
    b) running multiple installs of wpmu on the same host vps, however, this appears to throw up other issues and ease of creating subdomains is not quite the same, plus i could also see myself running into other issues in the future.
    so, again i call upon you, the wise and tested, to advise, when setting up separate fully functional sites of differing content for different target audiences, and wanting to use all the addons like bp and bbp that are so brilliantly compatible, what is the best way to go about that?
    would you advise essentially a new host vps for each "portal"?, thanks again, and hopefully i won't have to ask too many further questions on the matter once this is sorted.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

b) No, you can set up multiple separate installs of MU on one VPS. Just make sure they each have their own web account, and are not add-on domains.

What kind of control panel do you have for the VPS?

14. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

whm/cpanel, what's the trick?

15. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

it's ok, got it - thanks so much for your help, might even go so far as to say i love you!

16. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Go ahead, lots of people love me. :)

17. nyxynyx
    Posted 14 years ago #

i'm having a similar problem where I want to have different wpmu installs in my shared hosting account, reach wpmu install having its own database (because I might want to shift a particular wpmu to another server later on). The wpmu install on the primary domain is working fine. The wpmu install on the addon-domain isnt and all its images (and css files too i think) are not showing. Is there any way around this?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by gibcosta
  • Latest reply from nyxynyx