The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is there any front page theme of Wordpress mu? (13 posts)

1. waterlin
    Posted 15 years ago #

I want to build my sites using Wordpress mu, which has several blogs of article collections.

And I think I need a front page of this site, which can gather all blog informations to the visitor.

Is there any this kind of theme? I want to find an example and start to learn.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

What pertains themes - look at http://premium.wpmudev.org/themes/

Edublogs, Dixi, Nelo, Triden are quite good.

But you'll also need plugins that will pull latest post and other stuff onto your main page. Search at http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/

3. waterlin
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks, I will try it.

4. waterlin
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there any free theme for this function?

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

There are a lot of themes that are free and of course you can always create your own custom theme just for the primary blog.

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

7. DeannaS
    Posted 15 years ago #

You can always just use any ol' theme and use Donncha's site wide posts plugin and set it to post all new content on the home blog. Voila - instant aggregation of all your content to the home blog.

Or, my blog topics plugin along with some extra custom code can be used to create an aggregated front page.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

There aren't any free themes for MU home pages. You pick a theme you like, and add plugins for the functionality you want.

9. wpvince
    Posted 14 years ago #

There aren't any free themes for MU home pages. You pick a theme you like, and add plugins for the functionality you want.

I suppose this will change once the merge with standard WP happens?

Shame there isn't any free WPMU homepage themes now though so one could learn and adapt them

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Everybody does their front page differently with different information and different plugins. What works for one doesn't work for the rest.

You can give this a read though:

http://wpmututorials.com/elsewhere/anatomy-of-a-home-page-wordpresscom/

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Shame there isn't any free WPMU homepage themes now though so one could learn and adapt them "

But there isn't anything *special* about them. Just whatever you want to show on the front page. Like if you wanted to do something different on a single WP blog. Same thing.

12. wpvince
    Posted 14 years ago #

So could you grab any widgetised theme, disable all the widgets it comes with, and just add a PHP code insertion widget so as to include the WPMU plugins you want?

Everybody does their front page differently with different information and different plugins.

I understand, but you could say the same for standard WP.
    Expect this will be easier once the merge with standard WP happens.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"So could you grab any widgetised theme, disable all the widgets it comes with, and just add a PHP code insertion widget so as to include the WPMU plugins you want?"

No, themes don't come with widgets.

You disable the widgetized area of the sidebar. Then you code *in the sidebar file* the php you want to show. Without and widget code.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by waterlin
  • Latest reply from andrea_r