The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

cant login to blogs (15 posts)

1. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi i have installed mu ok but when someone signs up and creates a blog, they can not accesss the blog. how can this be fixed?

thanks

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You forgot to do some steps. They're in the readme.txt file in the zip.

3. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Which Steps? i have done all the install steps :)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you mean everything on the install screen, then you forgot steps. They are in the readme file.

You have to tweak the server's apache setting to handle the wildcard subdomains.

Hey look! Someone wrote a free ebook all about it!
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation/installing-wordpressmu-the-e-book/

5. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Look some of us are new so less of the sarcasm please.
    thanks for the link

6. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have spoken to my hosts and showed them apache instructions on the read me file and they say they are correct but i still can not get the site to work so it will display created blogs.

When someone signs up for a blog it should be like this:

http://ourlordsfriends.ourlordsblogs.com/

if you go to that link, you will see it can not find the page.

cheers

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

for chrissake (excuse the sarcasm) here is the link to the readme: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/README.txt see the section about DNS?

DNS
    35 	===
    36 	If you want to host blogs of the form http://blog.domain.tld/ where
    37 	domain.tld is the domain name of your machine then you must add a
    38 	wildcard record to your DNS records.
    39 	This usually means adding a "*" hostname record pointing at your
    40 	webserver in your DNS configuration tool.
    41 	Matt has a more detailed explanation:
    42 	http://ma.tt/2003/10/10/wildcard-dns-and-sub-domains/

If I go to any of your created blogs, I get a DNS failure. So obviously its a DNS issue. Your hosts should have noticed that instantly if not you.

8. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah they should and they have fixed it but my apologies for being such a pain, just i thought this was a support forum.

Mind you, if someone pointed that out to me in the begining then it would of been resolved by now.

REMEMBER WE ARE ALL NEW AT ONE POINT. (excuse the shouting) ;)

9. crsneil
    Posted 15 years ago #

[off-topic]
    @ourlordsblog

As a relative n00b myself, I can't even begin to tell you the amount of help I've gotten from the people on this board. They rock.

However, they DO expect that before you post questions here, you have done your homework and done at least SOME searching for the answers. And the answer to your problem exists in a couple of dozen other threads on this forum alone.

I did the same as you when I started, asking questions about stuff that had been asked a hundred times before. So don't lose sleep over it...

...this time. ;)

[/off-topic]

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

thx crsneil, that pretty much sums it up, besides that swamping the forum with 10 similar issues of which 9 are dead ends because in the end, these 9 threads receive the answer to search or maybe are pointed the right way...

If I look at this forum, the front page has 9 out of 10 issues that have been asked and answered before. Is there now really a point for me digging deeper? No there isn't I have no open requests right now, why would I bother?

So keeping the forum clean, should be everyone's priority.

11. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

The first thing i had done was search but that was the problem, there were too many answers answered in different ways and it became confussing, that is why i asked for help on the matter.

There have been a couple of other problems that have ben solved by me searching but at the sametime it still helps if idiots werent sarcastic, im not up to date on all the tech stuff but willing to learn and it is very off putting.

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

yeah, but see it from the other side: we're all volunteers here, and it feels like we are not progressing as its always new people asking the same questions. Its like being stuck in kindergarden forever, and no this is no attack just an example how it can feel.

seriously, most of the questions this forum has recently seen could have been answered by: RTFM!

anyway, we are straying too far from the original issues, so lets return back to the problem:

its solved, right?

13. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah it is solved thank you :)

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi!

Do note that in the *first* reply in this thread, I did point you to the readme file.

All Ovidu pointed out later was the specific paragraph in that same file.

15. ourlordsblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes you did but i looked at the wrong section, the apache section and not the dns section but thank you anyway and sorry for any bad feeling, i was realy panicking lol

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by ourlordsblog
  • Latest reply from ourlordsblog