The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

setting up a paid blog service with wpmu (13 posts)

1. sosuke
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, I know, its ludicrous, paid blog service, no special features. I am trying to find out if there is an existing implementation of this. The company I work for wants to have a blog be part of their offered services list, and I have very little time to complete it so I am looking to use existing scripts if at all possible.

I am sure I can setup and administer the WPMU just fine, the delima I have right now is how to admin the 'is paid user' part. Does anyone have an example of this?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't believe anyone has used wpmu in a paid service type setup yet.

3. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm also looking for a host that will install the wordpress mu and let me get on with this project.
    The domain I want to use is bicyclejournals.net I have already purchased it but I've been looking for a method of allowing people to write about their daily bicycle travels. Also I need a clean and easy to use photogallery that works well with wordpress mu so people can upload from their desktop photos taken on the road that day.

Please someone, point me to the right host.
    Jean Andre Vallery
    Sarasota Florida

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Jean, it looks like you have a few questions here. Are you looking for a web host, someplace where the install lives?
    Are you looking for someone to install it for you?
    And the photogallery question should be in its own thread for you to get the maximum responses. :) (although I feel obligated to point out that WPMU already handles photo uploading & posting in entries, and you're probably looking more for a particular theme.)

5. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've always planned that my final implementation will offer a free, ad-supported version with 20MB storage; and then a 'premium', paid version, with no ads, and increased storage.

I haven't yet figured out the best way to do this. Although on a small scale it can be handled manually.

6. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

How do you handle manually? Storage is univeral throughout all blogs. Also regarding ads, how do you have ads on some and no ads on others? I figure that the ads would be placed on theme or templates. :)

7. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

yeah, sorry - I haven't figured out how to do the storage manually. As for the ads, I create a copy of each theme, rename it and add the google ads. that allows you to enable or disable the correct themes for your users.

8. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

So there are two sets of themes? One with ads and one without? Enabling and disabling themes is a global setting right? How do you do it for individual blogs?

9. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Themes can be enabled on a blog by blog basis in the admin pages.

10. ilvblog
    Posted 17 years ago #

To Jean
    I can host your site. please contact me privately if you need.

11. sosuke
    Posted 17 years ago #

my goal was to spawn a more techincally minded thread, I am going to reword and resubmit my question so I can avoid the, "me too, i want my site handed to me" posts, I am probably just miffed my thread was hijacked

12. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks for your input I found that it isn't going to be a paid system. I found a person to install the mu and configure it. Now I need to see how to best explain to people how to upload and post a picture to their post. Thanks
    Jean Andre Vallery

13. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Use it yourself and you'll know how to explain to your users ;) Simple...

About this Topic