The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Users not receiving sign up mails and password (6 posts)

1. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

I know this has been posted a few times on the forum, but there seems to be a varying degree of responses and several don't work properly. Could someone give the definitive way to make sure that all users receive their signup mails (especially hotmail etc) - I have taken the step of editing wpmu-functions.php and changin all instance of support@ to the admin mail address i use, and changed wp_mail to mail as suggested in another thread - are there any other steps that need to be taken or any plugins required?

Many thanks

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you using your server as the outgoing email server? Which hosting company are you with? I hate to say it but some hosting companies are pretty much blacklisted by hotmail, yahoo etc because of the amount of spam their servers send out

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hotmail specifically checks for a reverse DNS record.

So, all those other threads have varying email problems, which is why there's varying solutions.

Making sure it goes to hotmail is arguably one of the most difficult.

4. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

using knownhost as outgoing server

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's gotta match the email domain.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

So, all those other threads have varying email problems, which is why there's varying solutions.

Which is one of the reasons why checking the mail server's log and it;s error logs is a requirement and listed as such on the debugging page.

The specific domain in question would be a plus so we can see what's happening.

Also get with your host and tell them that you need to have "the rDNS set for the outgoing mail server so that it reflects my domain correctly. Not for the server domain (if it's shared) but for the specific domain of this specific site." That may help them.

About this Topic