The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multi user with own website as sub domain (6 posts)

1. cooldot
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

I am looking to create a webite that will allow me to add users so they can have their own website or 'micro site' as a sub-domain.
    Idealy I need to set how many pages thay have (disable page creation on their account?) and limit their rights so they can only edit their website.
    WP MU seems to do a lot of this, but I am inclined to go with manually creating the sub domains and using something like Zimplit for simplicity. Again though, I run into the problem of limiting the number of pages.

Any thoughts?

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why do you want to limit how many pages they can create?

3. cooldot
    Posted 14 years ago #

So I can charge depending on the number of pages I have to set them up with.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Charging by how many pages you set up for them is an outdated business model, especially with so many dynamically-based programs out there.

WPMU already creates each blog as a subdomain, and as long as you follow the instructions, they get set up automagically. No manual intervention needed.

Consider charging for access:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/upgrades
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pay-to-blog

5. cooldot
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello Andrea, thanks for your reply. Yes, I know WPMU creates sub-domains (even if our hosting can't create the mailboxes to go with the sub-domains) but that is only a part of what I need.
    WPMU is complicated for a novice user who wants to be able to manage their content with a minimal learning curve. On the plus side it has so many possibilities. It would be nice if I could pick and chose which options are available to specific users (or user groups?), that way options could be added/removed to suit differing abilities (okay, I'm dreaming again!).

Charging per page ensures there are no hidden or unforeseen costs. When my clients ask, 'how much' they don't want to hear me say, 'well that depends'. My out dated business model means I can serve up the nice looking websites that they want at a price that has no hidden costs. I guess that by today’s standards no hidden costs is just another out dated business model :)

Charging for access? That sounds like a good idea if it works for you and your clients, but then isn't that a little like charging for bandwidth, which is also quickly going out of fashion? Even I have unlimited bandwidth to hand.

Any way, we are [insert number here] posts down the line and so far the only suggestion I have seems to be for me to change the way I want to work to fit the software. Besides, I am working the way our clients want this to work. Is there any point in researching a business model around what the clients want only to find I have to change it to fit in with software restrictions? I thought this was 2009? :)

So, does anyone know of a way to make WPMU do what I need, or know of any software that comes close that I could alter?

Thanks.

Paul :)

6. stavmathias
    Posted 14 years ago #

I know this topic has been dead for 10 months but if you still haven't found a resolution check out the plugin "Toggle Admin Menus". I'm not sure if this is what you need, but it limits users access. check it out.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by cooldot
  • Latest reply from stavmathias