The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WP 2.7 Can't Login After Making Site Live (8 posts)

1. robing
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm running WPMU 2.7 and I was able to login and edit the sites when they were subdomains of the main install site. However, after making the sites live by connecting them to their domain names, I couldn't login as either admin or as a user. Just in case it was a DNS issue, we've tried using both CNAME records and A records, both with the same result. Right now, if we try and login to either of these sites it kicks us back into the login screen. Even when logged in as admin on the main install site, if we select one of these other two sites it kicks us out into the login screen again.

Any help would be appreciated. We can access the MYSQL tables directly if need be.

Thanks,

Robin.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"However, after making the sites live by connecting them to their domain names"

And how did you do this exactly? There's plugins for the domain mapping, and if you haven't used those and just edited the blog fields, then I'd say that's why.

http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/donnchas-domain-mapping-plugin/

3. robing
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. I installed the plugin and it seems to work for the main blog (openbluemu.com) but for the client site (crownhill.openbluemu.com) which has been set to crownhillpackaging.com it seems to be in sort of infinite loop. This may be because when I set-up the domain resolution without the plugin, I manually edited the DB tables. Can you let me know what other fields I need to change to the plugin to work?

Kind regards,

Robin.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"This may be because when I set-up the domain resolution without the plugin, I manually edited the DB tables. Can you let me know what other fields I need to change to the plugin to work?"

You don't. And it doesn't do anything on the main blog.

Undo everything you did so the blog is back at crownhill.openbluemu.com.

Park the crownhillpackaging.com on top of openbluemu.com, OR make an A record to the IP only if the MU install is first that IP

Now, go in to the backend of crownhill.openbluemu.com to the Domain Mapping menu item. Fill in the stuff there & click the button.

You do not have to do anything else.

5. MAVIC
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea, I'm having the same issue except I am using the domain mapping plugin. I read this -
    "The user should go to Tools->Domain Mapping where they can add or delete domains. You, the site administrator must enter the IP or IP addresses (comma deliminated) of your server on this page. The addresses are purely for documentation purposes so the user knows what they are. They do nothing special in the plugin, they're only printed for the user to see."

So all I did was edit the blog config to change its domain. I did not add the new domain to the list under Tools->Domain Mapping since it said it does nothing special in the plugin. Are you saying otherwise or am I confused?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, you're confused. Those instructions say that user does not have to add the IP address.

You still have to add the domain name, otherwise where would it go? Even over at wp.com, the user still has to add the domain name. And they don't have access to the edit blogs area.

7. MAVIC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea. I actually have it working without having the domain listed under Domain Mapping... all I did was set the blog to use the domain.

8. joshchambers
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi all:

I'm having this problem too. However, it ONLY occurs when I add the AUTH_SALT line in my wp-config file. If I leave that out, I get the pesky "please add this line" message in the admin interface, however everything else appears to be working smoothly.

The minute I add AUTH_SALT with any number of key variations, I'm asked to "log back in" and it refused to let me back in.

I'm not running any subdomains.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by robing
  • Latest reply from joshchambers