The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

installation help - why can't i have the 5 minute install??? (8 posts)

1. freejojoey
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have a regular version of wordpress installed in the root directory of my webserver.

I wanted to install wordpress MU in a subdirectory (i.e. http://www.domain.com/wpmu).

After hours of messing with everything, reinstalling the files via ftp & adding several users / databases & even consulting unix support, I gave up and moved my regular version of wordpress into a temporary folder elsewhere to see if i could get the installation form to come up with wordpress MU. That worked.

It seems I can't have both versions of wordpress connected at the same time... soooo now that I have the install screen here & I've filled out all of the fields properly (checked & re-checked), I get "Error establishing a database connection".

I've been searching for hours in this forum for a solution to the same problem hundreds of people are having with the installation. I've done up and down forward and backward EVERYTHING all of the answers said to do. I AM STILL HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY INSTALL.

Frankly, as someone who's become frustrated with this, I want it said that the rude replies to the people asking for help isn't very friendly either. Like "you should read the README.txt file, that's what it is for"... I don't even want to count how many times I've gone thru each step in the readme file, as well as READ Andrea's e-book on the installation. I've done everything all of the freakin instructions say to do. I didn't even mess with the wp-config-sample file in the beginning.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE JUST MAKE A PATCH TO MAKE THE INSTALLATION AS EASY AS THE REGULAR WORDPRESS?!?!?!?

(or help me with my problem here thanx!)

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hiya,

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE JUST MAKE A PATCH TO MAKE THE INSTALLATION AS EASY AS THE REGULAR WORDPRESS?!?!?!?

Typing in all caps is considered shouting. Do you think anyone is going to want to help when you're shouting at them?

Thanks,
    Andrew

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You know, I know how frustrating it is to get it to install when you have no clue what's wrong, but it's posts like this that usually generate the rude replies.

Just sayin'. :)

"Error establishing a database connection".

This means you have your database info wrong, or MySQL is down.

(and thanks for reading my ebook ;) )

And yes, there's code in WP (that stays around in WPMU) that travels up a directory and looks for a config file, so you have to either disable the check or disable the root WP install (which you did).

4. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

As rude as some peoples replies may seem, the response 'you should read the README.txt file' is actually pretty accurate - I should know, as I still sometimes forget some of the steps and the read me file has always proved invaluable!

But seriously, I would strongly suggest you make sure you've followed ALL the instructions (not just interpretting the bits you want to read coz you're now totally hacked off) as at the end of the day, everything DOES work if its set up correctly as per the instructions.

The trouble is, installing Wordpress MU requires significant additional skills that aren't necessary for a single install of Wordpress and therefore there's a steep learning curve to get on top of it all. The disclaimer at the top of the ReadMe is oh so true:

If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run...

In any case, I'm afraid you don't give enough information for any meaningful support yet...

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Joey honey, where are you hosted? It just occurred to me that some hosts do NOT have their database on localhost and that also gives the DB error.

Even thought it *says* 99% of the time you don't need to change it, some hosts have db servers out in la-la land.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

*sniff* I never get called honey. *sniff* *sniff*

I've never been able to get it work when installed within a subdirectory. Every trick I've tried, it kicks out with errors.

7. freejojoey
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have my own dedicated server with cihost. i am on a unix system running linux, and i have no problems with php code, nor do i have any trouble with mysql. i have been doing database driven websites for years, but i will admit i am new to wordpress. i've just become disappointed that the mu version would have so many issues on it's installation.

i am going to wipe my regular wordpress site and start over from scratch with mu. wish me luck... and sorry for SHOUTING, i do it in real life too! thanks for the tip on re-reading the readme file, but i'm afraid i'm convinced the problem lies with having two different versions of wordpress on the same domain-- just like andrea said, it's searching for that config file, and getting confused... way to go smarty pants wordpress, you spun yourself to hard on the swing now you're dizzy!

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

WMPU does install in seconds, as long as its got its own domain to play with.

If you think about it you're trying to run two different, but similar, apps which do the same sort of thing off one domain. Can you blame it if it gets confused.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by freejojoey
  • Latest reply from SteveAtty