The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Directory Paths for New Users (3 posts)

1. vlm
    Posted 14 years ago #

We are using WPMU 2.7, configured to set up users in directories, not subdomains. Suppose our installation path is blogs.domain.com. Then when we create a new blog, I enter "Users/<UserName>". where <UserName> is the user's name. My intent is to store all the users in the location blogs.domain.com/Users/. BUT ... Wordpress removes the slash in "Users/<UserName>", resulting in "UsersUserName".

Does anyone know how I can enter the path I desire, as described above?

Thank you kindly,
    Elchanan

2. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

That is because it is asking for a name, not a directory path so it strips it out for very sensible reasons.

Why do you want it to be blogs.domain.com/users/UserName? It just seems to be making the url longer for no real gain.

3. vlm
    Posted 14 years ago #

We're just learning the product.

Interesting. The UI says "blog address" and provides the WPMU root in the form of a path, which we assumed sought the rest of a path.

We thought that the program would actually create a directory for each blog. But upon further experimentation, we see that this "blog address" has no corresponding directory, it's literally an address/pointer.

Believing that the program would create a directory per blog, we wanted to isolate/segregate these so that we would not end up with a pile of directories, one per blog, at the same level as wp-admin, wp-content, and wp-includes. But now we see that this is not an issue.

The length of the path would not have been a problem, we have created a rough equivalent of snipURL (but with some extra functionality we desire).

So I guess "case closed", and I appreciate your help, SteveAtty.

Best regards,
    Elchanan

About this Topic