The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sharing posts across blogs (5 posts)

1. craigsdickson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I am considering migrating to WordPress from Blogger, where I currently have 2 blogs - one for my family related stuff, and one for my professional related stuff. The number of blogs may increase, but probably no more than 5.

I intend to host all the blogs on the same physical server (at least for foreseeable future) but use some kind of virtual host setup so that the URLs will be significantly different.

Also the look and feel of both blogs will be significantly different.

Normally, when I write a post it will clearly be meant for one blog or the other. However, from time to time I would like to be able to write a post that would appear on multiple blogs simultaneously.

I would like the comments on these "cross-posted" posts to be unified - ie. it shouldn't matter on which blog the comment was posted, the comment should show up in all blogs with that post in it.

Is this possible WordPress or WordPressMU? What setup will best support this last requirement?

Thanks

2. redsoxmaniac
    Posted 14 years ago #

This isn't possible out of the box for either. Some handling with code would be an answer to fetch the specific posts and comments. Since blogs have their own tables for posting and commenting attributes, you would have to find a way to have the comments be re-posted to all blogs every time it is created.

It seems feasible, wish I had an answer.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Everything is possible either by default or with an easy plugins EXCEPT for this part:

"However, from time to time I would like to be able to write a post that would appear on multiple blogs simultaneously.

I would like the comments on these "cross-posted" posts to be unified - ie. it shouldn't matter on which blog the comment was posted, the comment should show up in all blogs with that post in it."

That's the sticking point. And not that it's not possible, but that it will require a butt-load of extra fancy coding.

Honestly, I don't know of ANY blog platform that will do this with the comments.

4. joelpittet
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am looking for the exact same thing. Cross posting posts to multiple wp/mu blogs of my choosing and have the comments the same(or and option to keep them separate).

Here is one option:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cross-post/

It looks ok and on the write track, I may end up gutting the code from that and seeing if I can get both. That or looking at other tools.

Let me know if you find a plugin or platform better suited for this.

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

We just use an offsite writer like BlogDesk where you can pick where you want the post to go to. Provides a lot more flexability with the ability of which blogs to post to.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by craigsdickson
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe