The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU has invaded my server (4 posts)

1. maythil
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have a serious complaint against you.

Normally, I can delete any application from my Cpanel File Manger, but you are using my server in such a way that WPMU folders can't be deleted. WP-CONTENT refuses to be deleted regardless of 'permission' setting. In fact I had to seek the help of my hosting people to remove them.

This is very very bad.

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Your complaint has to go to your hosting support :)
    Permissions don't matter here, the thing is that files created by WPMU (blogs.dir for example) have a different owner (apache I guess).
    That's why you can't delete them when being logged in as user.
    This happens on servers where PHP runs as Apache module and not in CGI mode.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just one of the downfalls of not running on your own dedicated server where you have full privs. It it NOT WPMUs fault, in fact any php app which creates folders/files (phpBB etc) will cause exactly the same issues when you come to delete it.

On my server the user I use for file transfer (via ssh) has been added to the same group as the apache "owner" (www-data in my case). Which means I can, as a user who can log in, maintain my WPMU install without falling over file ownership problems.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

There actually is a work around for CPanel to delete an Apache created directory. If you rename it, you should be able to delete it afterwards. YMMV as it works on some and not others.

Considering that CPanel runs as a SU account, sounds more like an issue with CPanel though. I don't have the issue with my Direct Admin boxes.

Oh, and you're welcome.

About this Topic