The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blogs in sub-subdirectory (25 posts)

1. dennispedrie
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

Is there any way I can configure an instance of MU running in the web root to add new blogs inside of a subdirectory? For instance, mysite.com/blogs/blog-name/

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nope.

3. dennispedrie
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um... why? I have trouble believing that it's impossible to modify MU to allow forward-slashes in a blog URL. If I have access to the program code, which I do, it is possible. I was hoping for a point in the right direction... Maybe I'll have to find it myself.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Modify? Yes. You'll need to modify the software to do it. Configure? No. That's not something the software does out of the box.

To be honest, the easiest method is to open up the db and start changing the path record for the blogs you want to change. You'll have to do it in about a half dozen places for each blog you want to change.

It's not something that new endusers can do for themsevles.

5. dennispedrie
    Posted 14 years ago #

Changing DB records isn't a problem. Once I have all the blogs I need created I'm not going to be making any more. If I change all the path records, will there still be software modifications that need to be made?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

that's why I said nope. :) Not a default configuration for newbie users.

7. aliakbar
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea_r that was a bit ignorant of a statement.You added nothing with "Nope."

Maybe you're new to forums and WPMU, but you obviously don't understand the WPMU core. There's a lot of possibilities.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

*sigh*

See under my name where it says "member"? Click on it. It will tell you instantly how new a member is & how much they've posted.

Considering tdjcbe gave partly the same answer, I'm not sure whats up.

(the part where he said "Configure? No. That's not something the software does out of the box.")

9. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's also not as simple of amending the database records, and I'd STRONGLY advise not to start doing that.

There is a lot of quite complicated code in the main initialisation part of WPMU which tries to determine what site and blog it should use to process a request. With sub-directory installs the complications are increased as it has to determine which part of a permalink is the blog name, strip it from the post permalinks and then work out if it is also a page from the main site.

To do this, it uses a LOT of regular expressions and string replacements and assumes that blog names don't have / in them. Adding a / is going to cause you a lot of headaches.

Why not create a sub directory, install your MU in that and just put a normal wp install in the root for your main site?

@aliakbar - Only someone new to the forums wouldn't know that andrea_r wasn't new to the forums.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

See under my name where it says "member"? Click on it. It will tell you instantly how new a member is & how much they've posted.

Hmm, I could have sworn that I said the same thing. Oh well.

It's also not as simple of amending the database records,

It's actually a pain as a lot of wp plugins don't check the path when and if they have to build a url. It's hit and miss though.

11. Driftless1
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi. To revive (not hijack) this post -- is this a possible solution:

1) Install WPMU in a sub-directory like:
    root.com/blogs
    2) and then point the main blog to:
    root.com
    3) but have all the other blogs in:
    root.com/blogs/blog1

I know on WP you can do a sub-directory install but still have the blog appear to be living in the root -- is there a *cough* simple *cough* re-write rule that could be implemented?

Thanks!

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nope, not really.

13. drewdeal
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a similar hope, but less complicated. My main site will be in root(or on dev server in it's own subdom), but I want the individual blogs to be subdirectories, not subdomains.

I updated my first test blog path and took off the subdir, but it does not resolve.
    http://locasource.imsite.com/siding/
    imsite
    dev#@imsite
    shows a 404, when it should be the blog.
    The login url seems to work: http://locasource.imsite.com/siding/wp-login.php but logging in does not work.

This guy here made it work this way:
    http://cityscoop.us

14. carinallc
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have a somewhat similar issue, as I'm new to WPMU (but not to WP).

Create a site and want to allow users to create blogs. However, the user gets a File Not Found when trying to access their blog.

The URL points to [username].[domainname].com

Would appreciate any help on this - I've rebuilt the site twice and still not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Update: ok, it appears that the only blog that was created was the first blog, in the folder "1". All additional blogs I create are shown in Site Admin...Blogs with an incremented number, but the folders are being created. The ..\wp-content\blogs.dir folder has 755 permissions.

15. drewdeal
    Posted 14 years ago #

correcton on my logging in. Once I updated the user 'siding' role and changed password, I could login there.

16. drewdeal
    Posted 14 years ago #

but now that new login is not tied in any manner to the blog. Drat

17. Driftless1
    Posted 14 years ago #

@drewdeal - you can change those blog rolls for each user in the admin panels - play around. Its there. (I think go to the blog, click user, and it will give an option that might say --user has no role for this blog-- or something (going by memory here).

As for the sub-domain AND sub-directory wish, I suspect its not possible- but will need two installs. But I'm no expert.

@carinallc Sorry - that does not sound like a similar situation at all... Sounds like an install issue. I'm not sure whats going on there.

18. expat
    Posted 14 years ago #

why not use use php rewrite for it?? even drupal can do it LOL....

wassup wp?

and i can see why people get peeved off with "NOPE" LOL

19. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"My main site will be in root(or on dev server in it's own subdom), but I want the individual blogs to be subdirectories, not subdomains."

then pick the subdirectory option on the installation screen. Subdomains is checked by default.

"and i can see why people get peeved off with "NOPE" LOL "

Some people don't like a straight answer. :)

20. drewdeal
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea. I missed seeing that checkbox along the way somehow. Is that a variable I can hack in config.php, or do i need to reinstall?

Thanks to all for your help.

21. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Have you got any member blogs? Or just test ones? I mean, maybe a handful...

It's easier and less error prone to just reinstall. Other wise, you can edit wp-config.php and change vhost from YES to NO, and THEN you have to go thru each sub blog (from Site Admin-> Blogs -> Edit) and change their URLs and paths.

22. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

I was just wondering about the same issue.

Guess it isn't possible without hacking the db...

I like cafespain's suggestion:

Why not create a sub directory, install your MU in that and just put a normal wp install in the root for your main site?

But what would be the easiest way to integrate the two together (single sign-on and cookie-wise)?

23. reefat
    Posted 14 years ago #

I want to install WPMU inside /blog directory of another WordPress (regular) installation. Check this out http://hypebeast.com/. It has regular WordPress as root and when you click on "Blogs", it will go to WPMU. How can I install WPMU like this? Could anyone please help me out in this (in detail)?

24. timnicholson
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm experienced in Wordpress, but not WordpressMU. I would first like to install wpmu into a subdirectory just for testing. However, I have a standard wp installed in my server root that is my production website. I was hoping the latest version of wpmu fixed the issue where installing it into a subdirectory read and wrote to the wp-config file in the parent directory and screws up your production standard wp site.

In looking through the code, it seems they added some warnings about a wp-config file existing in the parent directory IF wp-settings.php is not in the parent directory as well. In other words, it doesn't display the error if its a full standard wp install in the parent directory. So it would make sense that the issue has been fixed, but I'm afraid to try it and screw up my production site. Has anyone done this and confirm that wpmu will now install properly into a subdirectory underneath a standard wp install?

Further down the road, I might want to replace my standard wp install with wpmu. Can I just move the files and update wp-config? Or do I have to delete everything, install clean, and import my blog? I don't want to have to do the latter because my users and their extra meta data are very important to me.

Also, if I do have wpmu in the root, am I able to have my main blog in the root? i.e. *my* main blog? Are there widgets that will let me pull popular posts, recent comments, etc across ALL wpmu blogs? I had assumed so, but am confused by some of the suggestions here about installing both standard wp and wpmu.

Thanks!

25. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

I suppose I should actually read this for it would be handy in my for instance because I am simply using Categories in the same manner that this person wants to use blogs but, it would be nice to be able to do exactly that...

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by dennispedrie
  • Latest reply from rsgrone