The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wpmu should allow users to change category slugs. (15 posts)

1. takuya
    Posted 14 years ago #

wpmu 2.7.1 doesn't allow users to change category slugs when configuring categories, but when Japanese categories are created, sometimes browsers can't resolve the slugs depending on its length.

wpmu should enable category slug editing, or provide an option for users to choose category slugs or IDs.

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

If it means that much, why not try writing the code and submit it as a patch to the trac, or throw together a plugin to do it.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Wouldn't work as it would conflict with the other users on the site.

At least it didn't the last time this came up.

4. takuya
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not all wpmu users can code. :)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Then file a trac ticket.

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, this won't change because of the sitewide tags feature. It's probably a WordPress bug if auto generated slugs can't be loaded by all browsers. File a ticket in http://trac.wordpress.org/ please!

7. nspirov
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha, I understand how useful sitewide tags are, but can't you just put a duplication check in the existing slug change procedure, instead of hiding it?

You have to understand, for us users of other alphabets, being unable to change the slugs is a HUGE problem! It's not that the generated slugs don't work, they are OK, but they are UGLY and search-engine hostile!

I'm really sorry I can't code so well, but I'm sure it is not such big deal for you, and I am ready to offer a small bribe (donation that is) for this feature ;-)

8. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

If its going to be changed anywhere its got to be changed right up at the top with WordPress and then, as the code bases as "unifying" the necessary work to adapt WPMU to support it can be done.

9. nspirov
    Posted 14 years ago #

@SteveAtty, maybe I don't quite understand the issue?

The feature we are discussing here (manually change the category slug) is avaiable in normal WP and is intentionally removed in WPMU due to the reasons that Donncha gave above.

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Its probably me, its been an odd day

11. nspirov
    Posted 14 years ago #

:-)
    So, anyone else in for bribing the developers?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Since the codebases are merging, it will be interesting to see how this is going to be handled...

13. jimmiejo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I only just noticed the inability to configure category slugs. Add my picket and vote for this to be added to the core asap! :)

14. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just noticed this as well!

When we transferred a Wordpress standard blog over to WPMU, we had customized category slugs and for quite some time, were not sure why these categories were returning a "Page Not Found" error.

Finally found out about the category slug problem, so I manually went into PHPMyAdmin to edit the cat slugs. Not fun!

15. r-a-y
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to update everyone on this issue, it appears there's a plugin that will help remedy this:

Edit Category Slug (for WPMU)
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/edit-category-slug/

About this Topic