The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Which command do I use to set VHost to yes or no? (14 posts)

1. pathghana
    Posted 14 years ago #

I installed wordpress using filezilla and deleted it. i reinstalled it again and i there was a WP-error which stated that it could not find any wp-config.php.
    I renamed the wp-config-sample.php as wp-config.php.
    When i reloaded the webpage, http://wilkins.gentlite.com/community/ it stated that "Warning! VHOST must be 'yes' or 'no' in wp-config.php"
    Can anyone help me with setting VHOST to yes or no?
    Thanks

2. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

Change
    define('VHOST', 'VHOSTSETTING');
    to
    define('VHOST', 'no');
    or
    define('VHOST', 'yes');

3. pathghana
    Posted 14 years ago #

dsader, thanks for the response. After doing that i got this error in establishing database connection http://wilkins.gentlite.com/community/

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/askcrazy/public_html/wilkins/community/index.php:4) in /home/askcrazy/public_html/wilkins/community/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2576
    Error establishing a database connection.

I don't know what to do to be able to install wpmu again.
    Do you have any suggestion?

4. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

Add your db details into wp-config.php from your initial installation:

define('DB_NAME', 'wordpress');
    define('DB_USER', 'username');
    define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password');

5. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

I wonder why the index-install.php didn't kick in if there was no wp-config.php, though.

6. pathghana
    Posted 14 years ago #

dsader

I deleted the wp-config.php file i created. You may access the webpage to see it's current state. http://wilkins.gentlite.com/community/
    Has the error gotten to do with my webhost? I'm using http://justhost.com
    How do I create a good wp-config.php file to get the WPMU running?
    thanks

7. pathghana
    Posted 14 years ago #

dsader
    I've finally been able to install the wordpress MU.
    Thanks for your help and all that. I actually wanted to install in on http://pathghana.com/community
    What I did was to rename the wp-config.php of http://pathghana.com and changed it after installing the wp-mu
    When i reloaded http://pathghana.com/community,
    i had access to the wp-mu configuration page.
    According to drift_dave wp-config.php files were conflicting

8. vsai23579
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why it is too complicate to install Wordpress MU i have tried 2 times but all failure. please help me how to set up wpmu.

I am trying to install in localhost and wamp server
    errors so far
    Fatal Error
    If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database Tables Missing.
    Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is either not running, WPMU was not installed properly, or someone deleted wp_site. You really should look at your database now.

What do I do now?
    Read the bug report page. Some of the guidelines there may help you figure out what went wrong.
    If you're still stuck with this message, then check that your database contains the following tables:
    wp_blogs
    wp_users
    wp_usermeta
    wp_site
    wp_sitemeta
    wp_sitecategories
    If you suspect a problem please report it to the support forums but you must include the information asked for in the WPMU bug reporting guidelines!

Warning! VHOST must be 'yes' or 'no' in wp-config.php

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

You may have missed this:

If you suspect a problem please report it to the support forums but you must include the information asked for in the WPMU bug reporting guidelines!

That, I believe is a link.

Also can you please walk us through with specifics as what you;ve done to install the software? Have you reviewed the readme file included with the download? Followed all of the steps in that file? Have you edited the wp-config.php file (which is something you;re not supposed to do)?

10. bruinkid888
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi, when i tried to install wordpress mu, i also got this message:

"Warning! VHOST must be 'yes' or 'no' in wp-config.php"

i follow your suggestion to

Change
    define('VHOST', 'VHOSTSETTING');
    to
    define('VHOST', 'no');

but now it just send me to a url http://current_site_domaincurrent_site_path/

why is this?

11. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

At what stage in your installation did you get the Warning about "VHOST must be yes or no in wp-config.php"? Just a reminder that you should not create .htaccess nor upload wp-config.php manually and should let WPMU auto-generate the .htaccess and wp-config.php files during installation.

Are you on Linux or Windows hosting? Does your server meet the requirements for installation of WPMU?

12. bruinkid888
    Posted 14 years ago #

when i first upload MU, I upload everything, including .htaccess.dis and wp-config.php. i also add database name, username, password in wp-config.php.

i got a error that said i did not install correctly and have no database table name. Then i delete .htaccess and delete wp-config. After I delete these two files, somehow in index.php in browser, i am able to see a page that ask me to input the domain name and database username. i follow the flow in that index.php page, and it said i have no .htaccess. So I upload .htaccess.dist again. But then it said I don't have database table again.

I check database and I don't see database tables are added. The database is still empty. My question is, why my databse has no tables inserted after I ftp all files? In WordPress, it seems the files add tables to databse. But in MU, the problem is it doesn't add tables to databse. Besides, my another question is in this forum, people said you should not ftp wp-config.php. but if i dont' ftp wp-confit.php, how do files know what is my database name and add tables to it?

right now, in line 38-44 in my wp-confi.php, it is

define('DB_COLLATE', '');
    define('VHOST', 'no');
    $base = '/';
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'mycompanyname.com' );
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', 'blogs' );
    define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
    define('BLOGID_CURRENT_SITE', '1' );

(p.s. domain_current_site i put my domain name. i don't disclose it here so i change it to mycompanyname.com)

so, if i am going to re-install again, what do i do? do i have to remove all files in remote server and re-ftp it again in order to add tables?

13. bruinkid888
    Posted 14 years ago #

p.s. i just see that i do have 17 tables in my database now (including the table name such as wp_blogs, etc, which the error message said.. but in my browser, it still says:

Fatal Error
    If your blog does not display, please contact the owner of this site.

If you are the owner of this site please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database Tables Missing.
    Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is either not running, WPMU was not installed properly, or someone deleted wp_site. You really should look at your database now.

What do I do now?
    Read the bug report page. Some of the guidelines there may help you figure out what went wrong.
    If you're still stuck with this message, then check that your database contains the following tables:
    wp_blogs
    wp_users
    wp_usermeta
    wp_site
    wp_sitemeta
    wp_sitecategories

14. tmoorewp
    Posted 14 years ago #

WordPress MU creates a wp-config.php file during the install. That is why you don't create it yourself.

Delete the .htaccess file (but not the htaccess.dist), delete your wp-config.php file, and leave everything as it came when you downloaded WordPress MU.

Now visit your domain that are installing WordPress Mu on. You'll see a page that asks you for all of the information that goes into the wp-config.php file, which is then created by the installer.

You should really read the Readme.txt file that came with the WordPress MU download. It has all of this information and more in it.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by pathghana
  • Latest reply from tmoorewp