The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't install bulletin board on same domain (8 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

We've successfully installed WPMU here at http://bicyclejournals.net.

The owner of the space decided to pay someone to install an Invision Powerboard forum on the same domain.

It's address is http://bicyclejournals.net/forum.

He submitted a ticket to our hosting company's tach support. This is the reply.

"You will need to modify the rewrite rules since you are using wordpress,
    that will keep the forums url from showing since the main .htaccess file
    will apply to subfolders also."

Any advice?

2. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you are using subdomains, try my htaccess files. There is a placeholder in the main htaccess file for you to type the subdirs you want to allow to pass-thru.

3. Hemanth
    Posted 17 years ago #

"htaccess file for you to type the subdirs you want to allow to pass-thru."

This is the one i was looking for. Thank you.

I've my blog in root & wanna put a linkdir in a folder /dir. How to do that? How can i allow a passthru for the folder 'dir'.

Please help

4. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hemanth, I saw your other thread, but my htaccess is for people running the blogs in the root directory and forums in the subdirs, but yours is the other way around, so I don't think my stuff will work.

You are going to have to figure out rules specific to your type of forum software so I'd check with those folks (or google), because I doubt you are the first person to need a subdirectory to pass-thru.

5. RaceDay
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have the Invision board on my site. Here is all I did.

1. Download the .htaccess file that is in the forum subdirectory.
    2. Open the .htaccess file in notepad, or other text editor.
    3. Delete everything in it, and just replace with

RewriteEngine Off

and that worked just fine for me.

BUT, I do not have virtual domains running. But I believe it will still work

6. billdennis5
    Posted 17 years ago #

Raceday: I am worried abotu what changing the .htaccess in this way will do the WPMU ...

7. RaceDay
    Posted 17 years ago #

It wont effect WPMU as long as you upload the file to the directory where InvisionBoard resides.

If you want to be safe about it, download the .htaccess file, and open in notepad--then save as pre-board.txt. Download it again, and make the change I recommended. Then, if it messes up, just rename pre-board.txt to .htaccess and re-upload that--that will fix it.

I did the same thing--no problems.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU ARE DOWNLOADING THE HTACCESS FILE IN THE FORUM DIRECTORY, not where you have MU installed. IF THERE ISN'T ONE THERE ALREADY...just make a file in notepad...name it htaccess.txt, upload it, and then rename via ftp to .htaccess

8. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

Bill, make backup copies of your htaccess files before you change or overwrite them, that way you can put things back if it breaks something.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from itdamager