The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is one WPMU install for all addon domains on cPanel possible? (22 posts)

1. gomesp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I have an account with webhostingpad.com and I am allowed to host multiple domains on my account (my management interface is cPanel and if I need to change the CNAME records I need to submit a support ticket).

The addon domains are usually hosted as a sub-folder on my public_html, e.g.: ~/public_html/domain1.com

At this moment I have 3 addon domains from customers (plus my own domain), and they all use wordpress.

I already have wpmu for my own blogs (3 for my own domain), and I would like to setup another wpmu for my addon domains and ease the management of these accounts.

Is it possible to, for example, install a second wpmu in ~/public_html/wpmu/ and have my 3 addon domains point to this wpmu?

I've tried already having all blogs under my own wpmu instance (with that domain mapping plugin) but for some reason the addon domains could not login to the dashboard so I decided to try and have a separate wpmu for the addons only.

Could anyone help? I've read all documentation (which is not as complete as the single wordpress installation one) and searched the forums quite a lot, but so far no luck...

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, you can do this even on the first install. I don't see any need for a second.

WPMU does not work very well as an add-on domain either.

You'll still need a domain mapping plugin to do what you want, and there's tons of documentation / tutorials over at http://wpmututorials.com

3. gomesp
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea. I had another try (this time I setup the domains as parked domains, not addons) and I had to comment a line on my wp-config.php file for the plugin to work.

4. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, I am trying to do something similar.

I have a hosting account with Blueust.
    I need to install wordpress MU on an addon domain (and also add buddy press and BBpress... but im still trying to get MU working).

I tried uploading the MU files to /public_html/mydomain/wpmu but that just gave me a 404 error on when I went to the index.php page.

So if I upload the wordpress MU files to /public_html/wpmu how do I get that working for the right addon domain? (I have about 40 addon domains and don't want them messed up..)

Can any help? I've been trying for hours...

5. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

Please note I have wordpress installed on most of my other addon domains, I just need MU installed on this one (not exactly like the title of this thread)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It may not work that way on your host. Did you ask support?

7. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

they dont offer wordpress support - they advised me to come to wordpress support

8. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've made some progress but I'm completely stumped again, and I've read through just about every help thread there is on this...

I get this message:

Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!

I've tried deleting the config file it, uploading again and deleting the htacess file and then trying, it gives the same error. And if I try without the config file it says :

"There doesn't seem to be a wp-config.php file. I need this before we can get started.

Create a configuration file" - when I click that it just refreshes the page...

Also if I try to open the htaccess file to edit that, It wont open.

I had someone else who knows more about this than me have ago and he ended endless redirects.

neither of us know what to do.

Please help!

Thanks

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you get that message it's because MU is finding another single WP install and trying to read that config file - which won't work.

Do this:
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/

10. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

YES! :) Thankyou!!! I see an install page now!! :D

11. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK so turns out that didn't solve it. I installed it, I logged in and everything looked fine from the admin side but if I visit the site's URL it only goes to WPMU install page.

I installed the buddypress plugin too (in case it would magically fix it) no change, still just the install page.

I've read through this thread about a person who had a similar problem:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/14501?replies=12

I dont think its bluehost not letting me, I've read about other people installing MU with them, but I dont know if it was on an addon domain like mine is.

This is my first time seeing the admin stuff for MU (I'm ok with normal wordpress) so I could be wrong here but...

If i go to Appearance - it shows kubric and wordpress 1.5 classic, with kubric being the activated theme. It doesnt have any buddypress themes or MU themes (does mu use different themes?) It says:

"Administrator: new themes must be activated in the Themes Admin page before they appear here."

So I click to go there and it shows "WordPress mu Homepage". I activated this, but it still doesnt appear in the appearance-themes section.

Any idea what the problem is?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

BuddyPress has a theme that you need to move to the themes folder. Then you'll see it under Site Admin -> Themes.

13. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

I clicked 'activate' on all three themes ins the Site Admin -> Themes section

There are these three:

WordPress Classic
    WordPress Default
    WordPress mu Homepage

But only the top two appear in the appearance-themes section :s, no sign of the WordPress mu Homepage theme there or a buddypress theme anywhere.

Help is greatly appreciated :)

14. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

*I mean the WordPress mu Homepage theme is in the Site Admin -> Themes section but not the appearance section (even after activating it). And there is no buddypress theme in either section.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

As a tip, remember that link above, with commenting out things? Go back and undo those edits now that it's installed. See if it pulls up the blog.

16. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

I tried that and it goes back to saying "error establishing a database connection" and at the login page it says:

"Error establishing a database connection

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

* Are you sure you have the correct username and password?
    * Are you sure that you have typed the correct hostname?
    * Are you sure that the database server is running?

If you're unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your host. If you still need help you can always visit the WordPress Support Forums."

I'm completely at a loose end here... I don't know if this is allowed here but if someone can do this for me I can pay them ($25). All help greatly appreciated.

17. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

I downloaded a new wp-blog-header file and tried using that but it didnt work so I edited it to have the commenting outs and now it shows the install screen again but if I try to login at wp-admin it gives the long message I pasted above and if I try to login at the wp-login page it gives a 500 error...

18. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK I tried the whole thing again, deleted all files via ftp, deleted database, made new database with user attached with all privileges, that gave the same problem of it saying there was no config file, so I did the header modification and that worked and ran the install, and now (as before) the admin side works but all other pages show the install screen still (even pages that don't exist, like mydomain/blah).

When I installed it gave this message:

START OF MESSAGE
    Installation Finished!

Congratulations!
    Your WordPress ยต site has been configured.

You can log in using the username "admin" and password 5bb06f24b8f8
    Directory Permissions

Please remember to reset the permissions on the following directories:

* /home4/cheapass/public_html/sophistigames
    * /home4/cheapass/public_html/sophistigames/wp-content/

You can probably use the following command to fix the permissions but check with your host if it doubt:
    chmod 755 /home4/cheapass/public_html/sophistigames /home4/cheapass/public_html/sophistigames/wp-content/

END OF MESSAGE

What is resetting permissions? Can anyone help with how do do this?

Thanks

19. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

I managed to make it worse, in a foolish attempt to fix it I went into the wp-config file and changed where it said BASE to having a '/' and then going to the admin url gives this message

Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!

and if I change i back to BASE it gives the same message.... :s

20. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Reinstall one last time. :)

"so I did the header modification and that worked and ran the install, and now (as before) the admin side works but all other pages show the install screen still (even pages that don't exist, like mydomain/blah)."

After it installs successfully and you get the Installation Finished! message, go back and undo that header file edit so it was like it was before. Then it should be good.

"What is resetting permissions?"

If you had to change folder permissions to get it to install, now you change them back. It's just a reminder.

21. matt608
    Posted 14 years ago #

yes it worked!! Thanks! I think what was different that the first time, I logged in and then tried to change the header, but this time I changed the header file back as soon as the installation success screen appeared.

One more thing... I seem to have installed it in subdomain mode instead of subdirectoy mode so the blogs are appearing (and of course dont work) at testblogthatdoestwork.mynewmusite.com instead of mynewmusite.com/testblogthatshouldwork

When I instaleld it this time I didn't see/notice an option to use subdirectories... do I need to reinstall (and pay more attention) and tick the subdirectory option or is there a way to switch?

22. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you have no member blog you want to keep, just edit wp-config.php on the line that says vhost=yes. Change it to no.

Yep, the option was there on the install screen, highlighted in blue, right above where you type in the db info. :) Subdomains are selected by default.

About this Topic