The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Post not found - 2 part question (8 posts)

1. zanfardinom
    Posted 14 years ago #

1st part:
    After installing WordPressMU I created my first post. After publishing the post I clicked view. When I do this I get a screen that says...

Not Found

The requested URL /2009/05/23/my-first-admin-post/ was not found on this server.

Now, I did a little test. If I create a post and click save. When I click the preview button it shows me a preview. Also, if I change permalinks to default and publish it works. How do I get it to work with Day and Name? This is a local blog on Mac OS X.

2nd part:
    I have the same issue with a live windows server...same error. In this case I ran a back-up of the database and we moved to a windows box. I imported everything and upgraded from 2.6 to 2.7.1. Now my post will not work even if I switch permalinks to Default. I even copied from the old server the blogs.dir folder in wp-content to the new 2.7.1 wp-content. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

mod_rewrite. :)

3. zanfardinom
    Posted 14 years ago #

HI andrea_r,

Thank you so much for the quick response.

In my httpd.conf file I have mod_rewrite uncommented on my Mac and I believe this is true for the Windows Server (I will double-check first thing Monday morning). Any thoughts/suggestions?

Michael

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

On the windows serve,r I believe you need a paid rewrite module for the permalinks to work.

FYI, the blogs.dir directories don't hold posts. they hold uploads. The posts live in the database alone.

For the mac, try this tut:
    http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-set-up-a-killer-wordpress-testing-environment-locally/

5. zanfardinom
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi andrea_r,

Thank you. I firgured out one thing. There is something set wrong in my database that I am transferring over to the Windows Server. I did a clean install with out the database and registration works (where I don't see a white screen). I can create a blog name now. But, still having problems with sending out the email confirmation. Trying to figure that one out. We use a exchange server. Do you know of any known issues and do I need to install a mail server on windows to get this to work (we have apahce installed and iis disabled/not installed)?

I understand that the blogs.dir holds all uploads (.mp3, .pdf...etc). But, I am still having a problem with blogs not displaying using permalinks.

Not Found
    The requested URL /2009/05/23/my-first-admin-post/ was not found on this server.

This use to work on my local mac os x server and on the live linux server we had. I'm not sure why this stoped working on my mac. The php.ini file and the httpd.conf file are the same...no changes. On the windows server I tried to set everything the same in the httpd.conf and php.ini file by following a Windows install tutorial.

Ok, sorry about the long post. I hope this is enough info.

Thank you sooo much for your time and help.

Michael

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"But, still having problems with sending out the email confirmation. ... do I need to install a mail server on windows to get this to work"

Yes. WPMU doesn't send the mail, the mailservers send the mail. :)

"I am still having a problem with blogs not displaying using permalinks.
    This use to work on my local mac os x server and on the live linux server we had. I'm not sure why this stopped working on my mac. The php.ini file and the httpd.conf file are the same."

Permalinks working depends on a lot of things, most of them directly related to how the box is set up. If it suddenly stopped working, then something changed - maybe a routine update overwrote something, I don't know, I can't see all your files. :)

This may or may not help:
    http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-set-up-a-killer-wordpress-testing-environment-locally/

7. zanfardinom
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea_r,

WOW! Thanks again for the quick response time.

Permalinks (I'm still a little confused why Windows dosen't work - Thanks for the tutorial):
    You are right...you just reminded me that I did a system update from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7. Maybe this changed something. The hunting begins.

Email confirmation:
    Do you have a suggestion for a free Windows email server that works with Apache and/or a tutorial on making sure I turn on all the right settings?

Thank you,
    Michael

8. zanfardinom
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi andrea_r,

UPDATE!!

For some reason the "not found" error went away on my local mac os x machine and links work now. So, I finally found a discussion that mentioned setting AllowOverride to all. So, I did this for the Windows server and links to post work...YAY!!!!!

I am still having problems with the wp-signup.php page on my mac and windows. On mac, after I enter a username and email I click next (the site does something - my browser progress moves slow) and all I see is a blank white page...no errors. Where can I find the error logs for this? On everything works except for the registration email. The new user is added to the wp-signups table but no email is sent. So, if you know of any email servers for windows just let me know.

Again, thanks for your time and help.

Here is my Apache error log as I was trying to create a new account on Mac OS X.

[Tue May 26 13:44:07 2009] [notice] child pid 7647 exit signal Bus error (10)
    [Tue May 26 13:44:35 2009] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
    [Tue May 26 13:44:36 2009] [warn] Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]
    [Tue May 26 13:44:36 2009] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
    [Tue May 26 13:44:36 2009] [notice] Digest: done
    [Tue May 26 13:44:36 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.8 configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Tue May 26 13:44:42 2009] [notice] child pid 7733 exit signal Bus error (10)
    [Tue May 26 13:54:24 2009] [notice] child pid 7771 exit signal Bus error (10)

Michael

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by zanfardinom
  • Latest reply from zanfardinom