The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to move only specific blogs to a new wordpressmu site (8 posts)

1. London99
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,
    I would like to move only a few specific blogs from my old WordpressMU site to the new WordpressMU site.

But I can't any info on doing this. Most of the info is on moving your entire site to new server or domain etc.

Is there a plugin or utility avaiable that will allow me to export specific Blogs from one site and then import them into another site.
    The username will also have to be moved. along with theme info etc.

Appreciate any assistance.
    Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, there's no plugin or utility to do so.

Since you're picking and choosing which ones go, I'd suggest going into the database itself (phpmyadmin), and export from that.

But! Don't pick all the tables. Pick just the sitewide ones and only the blog-specific tables of the ones you want.

And you still have to move over the plugin and theme files separately.

3. London99
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea thanks for the response.
    Would the following be correct actions to take:

The sitewide tables would be:
    wp_blogs
    wp_signups
    wp_users

Edit these tables to remove any references to the old WMU site.
    Edit the path info as that is different as well on the new WMU site.
    Edit to change the blog IDs to that they don't clash with the blog ID's on the new WMU site.

Anything else I should amend so that I don't overwrite the existing blogs in the new WMU site.

For the Blog-specific tables:
    wp_#_comments
    wp_#_links
    wp_#_options
    wp_#_postmetadata
    wp_#_posts
    wp_#_terms
    wp_#_relationships
    wp_#_term_taxonomy
    Edit out any reference to the old WMU site.
    Edit the blog ID's so they don't clash with the blog IDs in the new WMU site.

would the above strategy be correct ?

Thanks

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep, havign done it before, it looks about right.

You'll have to check the users associated with the blog as well and change their IDs so as not to conflict with users on the new site.

5. deltina
    Posted 14 years ago #

Andrea,

What if I wanted to move all of the blogs from an old 2.6 install to a fresh (latest version) install?

Is there a plugin or specific method for that?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You have to upgrade.

You could just dump the db from one to the other, but you'd be liable to muck things up because of db table changes from 2.6 to now.

I mean, essential doing that *is* upgrading, technically.

If you're moving them to a new server, same thing.

From a practical standpoint, you drop the tables on the new install and import in your old database. But I'd expect a couple things to be wonky. I'd rather upgrade the old site, *then* move the db.

7. deltina
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks, Andrea.

I was afraid of that. I have exhausted options for upgrading - getting the white screen of death with no php errors. I have tried every option I could find on the forums and some of my own, with no luck. Error logs show nothing fatal, and without errors, I have no clue where to even try to debug.

There are only around 10 blogs on there now, so I am seriously considering installing the latest version in a folder, transferring each site manually, then transferring to the root once tested.

So, would the method above save me some work as far as transferring the users and blog contents? I know I will have to move over the themes and plugins manually.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

When you're upgrading, are you just overwriting files? This can often leave old legacy files around. Might be an issue. You'll need to remove the files entirely, and then replace with fresh & clean ones in the new version. ;)

The above may save you some work, but it will add some too. You'd have to change the URLs for the blogs if you're going to set it up (even temporarily) in a subfolder. Then you'll have to change them back again when you move it to its proper place.

Just so you know ahead of time. :D

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by London99
  • Latest reply from andrea_r