The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

sub- sub-directories for blogs (7 posts)

1. xyzzy
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using a subdirectory install of WPMU 2.7.1. So, my urls are all like:

server.com/blog1/
    server.com/blog2/

This works well of course.

I wonder if it's at all possible to group blogs using a parent subdirectory, like:

server.com/group1/blog1/
    server.com/group1/blog2/
    server.com/group2/blog1/
    server.com/group2/blog2/
    etc

Is there any way to make this work, or shall I submit it as a feature request? Would others find it useful?

Thanks!

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

We've talked about it a couple of times previously. I think folks decided that the urls of one blog's posts would interfere with the urls of the lower level blogs since they would all be of the same structure. It's the reason why when you install the software in subdirectory mode, blog #1's posts are put within a /blog/ subdirectory of it's own.

I don;t think it went any further than that.

3. xyzzy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks.

One a different topic ... it's a little weird that blog #1 gets created automatically. I have a few instances of WPMU and none of them uses blog #1!

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Um, blog #1 is created during the install. Did you delete it? It's the main site of the url that you install to.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Permalinks are less of an issue if you have a listing or navigation somewhere where users can find the groups of blogs.

Good start:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/New-Blog-Defaults

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Permalinks are less of an issue if you have a listing or navigation somewhere where users can find the groups of blogs.

Good start:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/blog-topics

7. xyzzy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I know blog #1 is installed by default, and no, I did not delete it. i just don't have any need for it in my installation(s).

Thanks!

About this Topic