The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Breaking news from WordCamp SF (9 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm following along the live-blogging and tweeting, and in Matt's state of the word address, he announced that Wordpress.org and WPMU will be merging.

When? No idea, but apparently he also stated "watch out for version 3.0"

2. Trent
    Posted 14 years ago #

Pretty amazing stuff that will piss loads of people off and make many also extremely happy. I personally think it is a good idea, but don't shoot me for saying it!

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am in total agreement. :) Gonna be a bumpy ride for some.

4. johnjamesjacoby
    Posted 14 years ago #

MU should have been a plugin for .org from the beginning; Same with bbPress probably.

I just want to know what's going to change sooner than later, so I know how to develop my sites going forward to best migrate later on.

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think merging the two code bases can only lead to good things as long as the WPMU part just doesn't get swamped and lost. But at the same time I can see some people not being happy about it.

It is going to be interesting to see what they do and how hard its going to make moving from WPMU 2.x to the new combined 3 series.

6. amanzi
    Posted 14 years ago #

Interesting to hear about Wordpress and WPMU merging. I can see some features would be nice to have in Wordpress, like the ability to run multiple separate blogs from one install. But there are lots of admin-related stuff in WPMU which wouldn't necessarily be needed in Wordpress such as public sign-ups and welcome messages, etc.

I don't think it will necessarily make it easier for people to host multi-user sites though, as most of the support queries in the forums stem from Apache and DNS issues which would still be a problem once Wordpress and WPMU merge. I'm more concerned with how plugins will work in the future as I've customised a lot of plugins and themes to work specifically with my site. I'm assuming that everything will become easier in the long run but there will definitely be some issues migrating to the new codebase.

7. mercime
    Posted 14 years ago #

What y'all said. Upgrading single WP installs and also the WPMU installs to the WP+WPMU version 3.0 plus plugins and themes would either be a blessing or a curse, egads. MU could become a plugin, otherwise it would be overkill for a 10-page brochure site that runs on single WP :-) I just hope like SteveAtty that they won't "dumb-down" or lose the functions that made WPMU" an outstanding application.
    Where art thou Donncha?

8. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

I think WordPress itself is becoming overkill for a 10 page brochure site. There is to much gloat in there now (and even more planned for future releases).

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Donncha's on a well-earned vacation.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from andrea_r