The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Password-Protect Post Error (6 posts)

1. ccnyctl
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

I searched around this forum and google and visited a few pages. I've tried some recommendations (which may be dated, they were 2005) regarding entries in either .htaccess or wp-pass.php, but have had no luck with accessing a password-protect post. I'll write a password-protect post on my blog server to show you the error I get (a 404 by wpmu).

http://ctl.ccny.cuny.edu/blog

I'm really stumped. I'm using r542 (2006-04-07) wpmu, as a recommended "stable" release, and have tinkered with the thing for weeks to get it to where it is now.

All help is appreciated!
    ccnyctl

2. ccnyctl
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi, I've looked at some pages on wpmu password protected posts, and tried things such as modfiying kses.php and wp-pass.php per pages (itdamager's wpmu patch review was one, and patrick chia's blogsgate was another) I've found from google on this topic. However, i still get a 404 error when i type in a password (good or bad) to view a post. Anyone who has password-protected posts working, please let me know how should I proceed.

Thanks,
    ccnyctl

3. itdamager
    Posted 17 years ago #

That patch of mine was for a way old version. I got tired of fixing the same things over and over so I gave up and haven't fixed it in any recent versions.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Although I never got a 404 error when my password posts weren't working, I *did* get it working just by changing to ITDamager's htaccess.

Worth a try.

5. ccnyctl
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, itdamager, I noticed the version referred to on that page was a 2005 version. But I decided to try it anyway and see if it works. I tried making head and tail of all these php files and codes, and can frankly hear what you're saying about all the fixings.

The password-protect I may just have to let slip. I'm no php programmer.

ccnyctl

6. ccnyctl
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi everyone, just wanted to follow up and let others know that I'd fixed the problem by editing the .htaccess file. basically, i removed all the regex junk in the rewrite command for wp-pass.php, having it "^wp-pass.php" instead of "^([0-9a-zA-Z ...".

This editing is also required for the line on wp-comment if you have 404 comment error.

.htaccess is the culprit.

now, i'm working on a minor bug to get the emoticons to show, tampering with .htaccess and vars.php (no luck at this point).

ccnyclt

About this Topic