The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spammers Decending Upon Me Like Locusts! (15 posts)

1. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

99.201.110.154 casey8578511 camila6187580

70.2.62.239 justus9923768, arielle9724710, devyn1537538, alfred3048110

78.73.49.137 derek6326982

68.37.46.96 finley8951960

These are just some examples of spammers who I've been able to catch an IP on. For some reason NO USER REGISTRATIONS are being emailed to me even though I have it checked that it should email me each time someone registers. So, the Lockout plug-in has helped me catch IP addresses to ban.

Am I a rare case? Are the rest of you being attacked like crazy with a new spam user being registered every 20 minutes? It's narly!

Anyway - the above are known spammers. So if you need to enter their IP addresses into the Ban plug-in - go for it. Would love it if others would share their spammer IP addresses then we can all ban their IPs and then maybe they will leave us alone. But, If I'm just a weirdo who happened to get all these spammers... never mind.

Would love to know if there's a killer plug-in that makes registration be approved before they can actually register!

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

Would love to know if there's a killer plug-in that makes registration be approved before they can actually register!

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Moderate-New-Blogs

but I can highly recomment: http://montyspam.net as a universal anti-spam tool (also good with signup spam)

3. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ovidiu!

Thank you so much! Installing installing installing!

Me hates spammers! Bad spam! grr.

ZK

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Monty Spam stops a lot of nasty stuff, totally silently too which is great. I can't recommend it too much.

5. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

It is already working and has blocked 4 spammer sign ups in just the short time I've had it installed.

BEAUTY!

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

6. tmcandle
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am also getting blasted, more spammers than valid new registrations.

I tried downloading "Moderate New Blogs" and could not. The links appear to be broken.

This type of monitoring is pretty much needed for a WPMU site to survive out there these days.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

As was suggested, try Montyspam

8. tmcandle
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have noticed in researching it that a) It hooked to the montyspam server and if down causes problems on you site registration. b) appears it will only work for another 3 months and then require some form of payment (to be revealed at a later time) c) does not say much about splogs and spam blog creation.

I am trying to restrict new blogs not spam on blogs. I am not sure how spammers can find the site so quickly (There was a line "you’ll be blogging seconds later" that was searched on, but does not seem to be in the new wp-signup.php) but I am getting new junk blogs at an alarming rate. I will give montespam a shot but would think that the approval process for comments would be nice for blog creation also.

9. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

It only hooks into the montyspam server when checking when it will expire and if the server is down it slows down the back end if you go to the monty spam admin menu.

No charges have been asked for yet and I've been using it for several months and all you do is redownload when it expires.

10. tmcandle
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok - Thanks I will give it a try.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Spammers search for wp-signup.php.

Also, check out the readme.txt in the most recent download. it has 3 links to things that will stop sploggers.

12. Brayne
    Posted 14 years ago #

@andrea - Thnx for the heads up on the file searched for. I'll be adapting code for a unique name for that file to help stave off the spam.

13. jlm99
    Posted 14 years ago #

Brayne & Andrea: Can you offer some pointers on how to change wp-signup.php to stop sploggers without breaking the registration process? (I'm imagining I need to just rename the file and then update its name in a certain core files?)

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you rename wp-signup, the only place it calls that filename is within that same file. :) In maybe 4 places. :D

Also, make a copy of wp-signup.php and put a DIE at the top of it. Spammers will still hit it & die, but without it, it'll be hard on the server.

15. jlm99
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Andrea!

For others trying to do this: I also found that wp-login.php calls wp-signup at line 390, and I needed to change that too for my "Register" links to work (maybe that's just my theme...).

About this Topic