The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to set default links / bloggroll (13 posts)

1. mrsouza
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Guys,

I have searched all over for an answer to this but all the replies concerns versions before WPMU 2.7.

I want to set a default set of links for all blogs that are created. As it is now its wordpress.com and wordpress.org. I just want to replace these with my own URL:s. Any easy way of doing this? I am not superfly on PHP, so please be gentle. :)

While we are at it, any simple way to do the same for widgets? For instance, I want all the templates on my sub-blogs to add the following widgets:

Categories
    Archives
    Links
    Metadata

Some of my templates do this, but not all, so I am a little puzzled where this is controlled.

Many thanks!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Some of my templates do this, but not all,"

the templates show a hardcoded sidebar by default. If a users drags over soem widgets, this is *replaced*.

If you want each sidebar standardized, go into each template and move around / add code so they are all the same.

As for the blogroll links:
    - you want a hack or a plugin way? :)

3. mrsouza
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks mate.

Regarding the links, is there a plugin? I got the plugin "set blog defaults" from WPMU Dev, but it does not allow me to specify what links to put there. Either way would work fine for me.

Thanks.

4. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you want the hack version for the blogroll, go into wpmu-functions.php and search for // Default links. You can then edit out the wordpress.org/com links. If you want to add more links, simply copy what's there and add a third line for both the different $wpdb->insert's. Just make sure the object_id is set to 3 for the third link.

For a plugin, take a look at http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/New-Blog-Defaults

5. mrsouza
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks,

Ok, the hack I understood. Great.

In case I want to use the New Blog Defaults plugin, which I have, where do I set this? I can't find any place to put default links. Only delete default links when creating a new blog. Maybe I missed something?

6. Person
    Posted 14 years ago #

My bad, people keep referring to it so I assumed it also had this feature. The one that does is this one : http://plugins.paidtoblog.com/wpmu-blog-defaults/

You'll still have to edit the appropriate lines in the plugin's php file (similar to what I wrote above), and you'll also want to remove all the useless stuff you don't need. Unfortunately though, this one doesn't integrate with the admin dashboard, so you'll always have to edit the plugin directly. (unless someone knows of a better plugin; in the end you don't gain very much from this plugin, except making it safer for if ever you upgrade wpmu)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

nope, Person, that's the one.

They both need to be integrated for full awesomeness, bot nobody has got around to it yet.

8. christine baker
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://plugins.paidtoblog.com/wpmu-blog-defaults/ hasn't been updated in over a year. Is it still compatible and maybe more important, will it be compatible with 3.0?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to add various SETS of links to some, but not all blogs. Is that somehow doable?

Thanks for any pointers,

Christine

9. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't know about that one, but you can set default links with mine:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wpmu-new-blog-defaults/

You can't set sets of links, though. I'm not sure how you'd do that, really.

10. christine baker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks, I'll definitely be using your plugin for my new blogs.

But I may have to just hardcode one sidebar with links as they'll be changing and also have to be updated on existing blogs.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try the power tools plugin for updating.

12. christine baker
    Posted 14 years ago #

I looked for it, is it at a different site or I'm not seening right?

13. PhilEsq
    Posted 14 years ago #

With the hack in wpmu-functions.php, how would I set the target attribute to _blank (new window or tab).

About this Topic