The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can I use MU for this? (6 posts)

1. slobizman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm wondering if MU is right for something I have in mind.

Imagine a community of people; I'd like to provide those in this community that are interested, a blog in which to express their views to the others in this community. So, out of the community of around 100,000, let's say perhaps I might have 100 bloggers.

I'd like one overall site that visitors would go to to read the views of the community's bloggers. They should be able to view a list of the most recent blog entries to read, and in addition, select their favorite blogger to read directly from.

I think MU can provide this, but please let me know.

But, here's something else I need. I don't want to go crazy administering this. I'd like it if each blogger were limited to a theme that fit with the overall look of the site and not be able to get into the themes to screw things up. I'd like to think of this more like a consistent looking online newspaper of columnists, than a collection of independent blogs.

Can I do all this, minimizing the administration to selecting bloggers, setting up new blogs, and related activites--not helping people with themes and other customization?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep. It does exactly that.

My MU site is limited only to people engaged in a specific activity. Interraction among the members creates the community feel.

Themes - nobody can get to them anyway. The install comes with just two, and the master admin has to manually upload themes for everyone else to use. If you want to limit the user's choices, go right ahead. :)

Out of the box, it doesn't provide what you are asking for, but with a couple of slick cut and code pastes it will. See my main page: http://homeschooljournal.net

Really, once you get up and running (the hardest part), and users are familiar with the controls, the day-to-day administering is pretty easy.

3. slobizman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you.

Are there any experts around that will install and setup a MU system for a fee? I've done plenty of WP installs, and I'm sure I could handle it, but it would not be time-effective or cost-effective to do all the stuff once I got past the basics if an expert could whip through it for me.

4. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't mind helping you. Have done installation and customisation for a couple of guys here. :)
    You can email me, sam at ziire.com

5. slobizman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you. I appreciate that.

It's early on in defining my project so I'll put you in my contacts and speak with you in the future.

6. jeanvallery
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a common theme as well. I just setup the site with some paid help. Couldn't find any free help, Darn it all!!
    http://www.bicyclejournals.net Its a work in progress

Jean Andre Vallery
    Sarasota Florida
    http://www.bicyclejournals.net
    941-232-2183

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by slobizman
  • Latest reply from jeanvallery