The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

[closed] WordPress.com (39 posts)

1. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm not being critical so please don't take this that way. I just don't understand the purpose of OpenDomain. I get that you let people use domains for free, but what I don't understand is why. I mean, you can register a domain for less than ten bucks. There's probably something i'm missing here so again, i'm not being critical I just don't ge the purpose.

2. gnukerman
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Excellent reply to a request of why you or your org should retain any link to this domain.

There are lists of folks that did the same thing you are attempting - that lost millions. - Some gained...most lost...but in the end they are no longer around. . . thus the change in the law on taking what doesn't belong.

This domain belongs and should belong solely to the developers and rightful owners of this project without want, need or gain by anyone else but them and their contributing developers.

Of course, I'm the bad mouth here; but a sponge is still a sponge; whether wet or dry.

I'm a property owner acrossed 4 states, and if you attempted this with my property......well, you know the rest of the story.

Congrats to Matt and Donncha. Do with this what you know can be done!

3. Ric
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

If you wanted a domain, you can purchase your own for as low as $6 US, assume that it is not ALREADY TAKEN. Our whole role is to buy domains from squatters and let Open groups use them. I fail to see how that is a bad thing.
    You are right - I am loosing my shirt to support OpenDomain.Org, but some people work for years on Open Source and never make a penny. Again - I contribute in my own way.
    The laws are pretty funny when it comes to 'virtual' property. Let me point out that the domain WordPress.Com existed long before Matt wrote the software, so the original owner was not really squatting. I took the risk and paid ALOT of money out of my own pocket purchased the domain from them - anyone else could have done the same. It was only a matter of time until a 'domain broker' or adult web cartle purchased it.
    WordPress.Com will have a link to OpenDomain.Org because that is the agreement I have with Matt. This is not a donation to WordPress, as much an exchange of services to promote my own movement.
    Being that we are Free and Open, I again fail to see that as a bad thing.

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I never said it was a "bad" thing. I just said i didn't understand. Not trying to make enemies here ;)

Andrew

5. Ric
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Andrew,
    My reply was not directed at you. Also, my own wife does not really understand why I spend so much time on OpenDomain and escpecially spend so much money on buying the domains from the squatters. I try to explain about 'Free as in Beer' and 'Open as in democracy', but it is a hard sell.
    Actually - I am a Windows developer by trade, so it was hard for me to understand why someone would take all their spare time to develop software only to give it away. And yet we now have WordPress.
    ALOT of people do not understand OpenDomain.Org, but in the end Matt can now use WordPress.Com

6. gnukerman
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Matt. Donchaa. Beautiful intro page at wordpress.com.

Looking forward to the future of WP/WPMU.

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ric - I've added a link to opendomains.org on my blog at http://blogs.linux.ie/xeer/ - it'll appear on every page, thanks again for transferring the domain!

When you get the PR ready I'll link to it too, so get writing! :)

Donncha.

8. akouleshov
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Can anyone please help in explaining how to set up WP database? I have a hosting with godaddy.

9. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

I think you'd be better off using teh docs at wordpress.org

About this Topic