The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

BuddyPress domain mapping experiences (7 posts)

1. Paamayim
    Posted 14 years ago #

First I'm going to apologize for posting about BuddyPress here and not in BP official support forum, but I'm not able to post there, I tried with another account but I'm always sent back to forum index after posting, with no error messages whatsoever, my post don't appear in the list and contacting admins was of no help.

So, before I go through a personal attempt, I'd like to know if anyone in there have experience with domain mapping and/or multi site manager with BuddyPress.

I vaguely remember that "donncha domain mapping" should be used with wpmu subdomains installs, while multi-site-manager ( http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager , used before with success ) with wpmu subfolders install.

I've installed BuddyPress with subdomains ( VHOST yes ).

Any thoughts? Issues I should be aware of?

2. burtadsit
    Posted 14 years ago #

Paamayim, I can't help you with your domain mapping issue but I might be able to with your login problems at bp.org.

What usernames were you attempting to use on bp.org and when was this? It uses the same credentials as wordpress.org.

3. twosticks57
    Posted 14 years ago #

I get really confused that it did that to me too and now I have several usernames with wordpress after signing up to post at Buddypress. Especially given the fact that I manage domains for clients. I would love to see a service where you could submit your domain names and get emails back so I could go through the process of reducing the load on wordpress and myself.

thanks,
    Stuart Liedtke

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Haven't tried domain mapping on a BP sites, but it shoudl be just the same. The domains are mapped to the blogs only.

5. Paamayim
    Posted 14 years ago #

@burtadsit
    I tried with Paamayim then created another account PoorDev, both with no luck. I can see I'm logged in ( paamayim / Log Out on top right corner of BP ), I can start new topic, but submission doesn't work. I started sveral topics titled "domain mapping experiences" yesterday.

@andrea_r
    Thanks andrea for the opinion.

6. burtadsit
    Posted 14 years ago #

http://www.darcynorman.net/2009/06/25/buddypress-and-multidb/

Jimgroom pointed to that url in the bp forums.

We think we know what the issue is with your posting problem at bp forums. Andy and Sam are working on it. Instead of logging in at the bp prompt, use the one in the forums. Logout, clear cookies and use this login instead http://buddypress.org/forums/bb-login.php

7. BondageRadio
    Posted 14 years ago #

To answer the original question, Domain Mapping and BuddyPress, I am currently running several mapped domains on a buddypress installation as well as multiple site (domains) support.

I have been pleased with both addons.

Multi-Site support allows me to administer several domains at the same time and run buddypress on any of the domains at my own discretion. meaning I may run Site A and Site B as BuddyPress sites while the same MU install will support Site C as well without BuddyPress.

While at the same time, Domain Mapping works to allow users to point their own Site D at any Blog they administer in any of the 3 Sites, all on the same MU install.

Bug (Feature?) I've detected, BuddyPress and it's widgets only recognizes one single installation, meaning that BuddyPress menu bar, BuddyPress Activity widget and BuddyPress recent blog posts widget, will always show all of the the same information across both sites A and B. (It's One Big Community across those sites)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by Paamayim
  • Latest reply from BondageRadio