The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

After creating new blogs it won't let me visit them. (6 posts)

1. wobean
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm creating a test website for a friend to show them what BuddyPress can do before we install it on their site. After creating a new blog, when I try to visit it, it sends me to the OpenDNS Guide and says, "You tried to visit exampleblog.fref.org, which is not loading."

(Yes, "exampleblog" is actually a blog I made on it.)

I tried a new install of WordPress MU with BuddyPress on a different site with a different hosting plan and it did the same thing.
    The only plugin I have running on either is BuddyPress.

I would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You didn't enable wildcard subdomains on your server. It's all in the readme.

- wildcard subdomain have to be enabled in Apache's httpd.conf file
    - you also need a wildcard subdomain A record in your DNS

3. wobean
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay. I'm using GoDaddy hosting and I asked their customer support about it and they said that I need to upgrade to a Deluxe hosting account for it to work. Is that true or are they just trying to get me to waste my money?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's true in their case, as those are the only accounts they will support WPMU on.

(so... yes to both.)

And they have done something to their lower level accounts to make WPMU impossible to run on. Not one of the better hosts out there, that's for sure.

5. wobean
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the help. I think I'm just going to use sub-directories instead. The only problem with sub-directories is that site-wide tags don't work right?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sitewide tags plugin owrks on a subdirectory setup of WpMU.

About this Topic