The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sub Domain (5 posts)

1. hotice2310
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have no problems installing WordPress mu, what I want to know is it possible to install it in a subdomain but yet have the main domain when users register? For example I install it in a subdomain called blog so i have blog.domain.com which is fine. But I want those who would register to have something like "theirchosenname.domain.com" instead of "theirchosenname.blog.domain.com". I was able to do it in Lifetype, I am wondering of the possibility of this in WordPress. Can anyone help?

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

doesn't work that way.
    if its installed in blog.domain.com all subblogs wil either have subblog.blog.domain.com or blog.domain.com/subblog depending on what type of installation you chose.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

sorry for double posting.

4. hotice2310
    Posted 14 years ago #

is there no workaround?

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

well, talking about programming: everything is possible. the question is: do you really want to hack the whole wpmu setup, having to rehack it with every update? I am sure its possible, but you'll need to hack core files, pretty sure the .htaccess fiel too and hell, I am sure no-one here is going to write a how-to for that...

but maybe if you explain why you want this particular setup, someone might suggest another workaround?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by hotice2310
  • Latest reply from Ovidiu