The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Custom URL strucutre (6 posts)

1. humjay
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am creating a site with MU for a software company. I'd like to have a URL structure similar to this:

/
    |- /about/
    |- /blog/
    |- /news/
    |- /products/
    |---- /products/product1/
    |-------- /products/product1/features/
    |-------- /products/product1/screens/
    |---- /products/product2/
    |- /support/
    |---- /support/product1/
    |---- /support/product2/

The support subpages are blogs for each product, I can't seem to get the url structure the way I want it. I can create a new blog and have it called /product1-support/, but not /support/product1/. The main /support/ URL is a page. I tried to make a subpage and I got the main posts page to show up by playing with the path and siteurl options, but clicking on any of the permalinks breaks. It tries to go to the main /blog/ entries.

So if I have a post in my product1 support blog with a permalink of 'hello-world' The url is /support/product1/hello-world/ but clicking on it will redirect me to /blog/hello-world

Also I can no longer get to wp-admin for that blog for some reason, as /support/product1/wp-admin can no longer be found.

Anyone help?

2. ithyn
    Posted 14 years ago #

It sounds like you want to use page nesting, rather than separate blogs (you can do this with regular WordPress too).

Create a page called "Products". Now create a new page for "Product1". Before you publish "Product1", look on the right hand side of the screen. You'll see "Parent" under the "Attributes" page. Set this to "Products".

Rinse and repeat until you have the structure set up the way you want it.

3. humjay
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did do that with products, which are standalone pages. The problem with the support section is the client wants complete blogs for each product. so /support/product1/ is its own blog. (all these blogs are why I chose MU) I successfully created other blogs one directory down (e.g., /news/ or /blog/) but something is screwing everything up when trying to go down another level to /support/product1/

4. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not sure if this is the answer to what you want, but something to consider maybe. I'm currently doing something similar.

If you created pages, subpages, and sub sub pages as described by ithyn, you would get your url structure. Now the trick is to get those to actually be links to separate blogs for each product right? Try installing this plugin, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-links-to/

This allows you to specify a link for each page you create. So if you created the pages below, you could link the /product1/ and /product2/ pages to individual blogs that you've created in your MU install.

|- /support/
    |---- /support/product1/ <---link to subdomain or subdirectory blog
    |---- /support/product2/ <---link to subdomain or subdirectory blog

I hope that helps and gives you another option for a solution:)

5. humjay
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try now and report back.

6. humjay
    Posted 14 years ago #

I installed the plug-in and technically it works.

I created a new blog at /product1-support/ then went to the dashboard of my main blog and created a page called /support/ then a subpage called /product1/ and used to the plugin to redirect that page to /product1-support/

It works, but the plugin uses a 301 redirect so my url structure changes from /support/product1 to /product1-support/ I'd really like to keep the sub-sub directory as a blog, if possible.

Anyone done this? Thanks for the help

About this Topic