The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Class 'WP_Widget' not found ? (5 posts)

1. Vik
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm posting this here because for some reason the BuddyPress.org is not accepting posts from my system. They have a thread called "HELP I CAN'T POST!" so I guess it's not just me.

I installed Wordpress MU + BuddyPress on two different systems today, and got the same error message. (WordPress MU 2.7.1 / BuddyPress 1.0.3).

Everything went great until I clicked the link to activate BuddyPress systemwide. Then I got this error message on the first system:

PHP Fatal error: Class 'WP_Widget' not found in /xxxxx/wpmu/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/bp-core-widgets.php on line 14

...and this error message on the second system:

Fatal error: Class bp_core_welcome_widget: Cannot inherit from undefined class wp_widget in /xxxxxx/wpmu/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-core/bp-core-widgets.php on line 14

How can I correct this?

Thanks very much in advance to all for any info.

2. jamescollins
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Vik,

The WP_Widget class was introduced to WordPress in version 2.8, and WPMU in version 2.8.1.

So I suspect you'll have to upgrade to WPMU 2.8.1 before it will work.

3. Vik
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks very much!

4. Vik
    Posted 14 years ago #

Okay, I just downloaded and installed WP MU 2.8.1 and BP 1.0.3 and installed them. I think it worked. BuddyPress is showing up in the admin sidebar and is listed under Currently Active Site Wide Plugins. The funny thing is that I also got this error message:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

What could explain this?

5. Vik
    Posted 14 years ago #

P.S. Anyway, BP does seem to be correctly installed now. :)

About this Topic