The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Parked domains / domain mapping (5 posts)

1. RyanScheuermann
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey all,

Here's what I'm wondering. I know that WordPress.com is experimenting with this idea, and I'm curious of the implementation snags and if it's really that difficult to accomplish.

I'd like to install WPMU but have each individual blog have it's own unique domain name. For instance, say WPMU is installed at example.com, but thisblog.com would point to a blog on the WPMU install (instead of thisblog.example.com).

Instead of using wildcard DNS, is it possible to simply park a full domain on top of the WPMU install, and update the individual blog's siteurl/blogurl to the parked domain? Would WPMU's index.php/.htaccess pick it up as an installed blog and execute the appropriate code?

The DNS would point the domain to the server, my server would map it to the correct place (like any normal parked domain). Does WPMU handle serving the blog by domain programmatically? From what I looked at briefly, it tries to determine which blog to serve based on the subdomain for the request, right? What's involved with reprogramming WPMU's method of domain/blog lookups to use the full path?

I'm assuming that all the get_permalink and bloginfo('url') methods for WP still return the stored 'siteurl' option?

Although it would be great for BOTH thisblog.example.com and thisblog.com to work, it's not necessary to have both, I'm more or less looking to replace the subdomain with a full domain.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

2. ak47surve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any success?

3. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

4. ddean
    Posted 16 years ago #

Or you could do it the easy way. It sounds like your DNS / apache configs are all ready to go.

5. MrBaaps
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I tried both tutorials, the one from:
    http://bui4ever.com/web-itecture/wordpress_mu_with_domain_mapping

and this MU plugin:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager

Both of the give me the same following ERROR when I try to open the mapped domain exemple.com on a bowser.
    --------------------
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    --------------------

Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks
    Mr.Baaps

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by RyanScheuermann
  • Latest reply from MrBaaps