The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU 2.8.1a alpha (14 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

MU 2.8.1 introduced a number of bugs unfortunately. Things like the upgrade notices were annoying but the My Blogs page not appearing for some users was really bad.

This alpha release fixes those bugs and more. Grab it from
    http://mu.wordpress.org/wordpress-mu-2.8.1a-alpha.zip and try it out on a test server please.

You can also grab the code from svn at http://svns.automattic.com/wordpress-mu/branches/2.8/ but you'll need your WordPress.org username/password.

Also, in 2.8.1 the sitemeta functions (*_site_options) work more like the WP *options functions. The old behaviour was to run the value from sitemeta through stripslashes() but now it doesn't. See #1060 for more details.

I know this is a pain for plugin authors but it's better to make these options functions consistent across WP and MU. WordPress itself has dummy *_site_option() functions already so we really need to make this change before the merge.

Please test, if you find a bug, take a look at the timeline, upgrade to the latest 2.8 branch code (there's a zip file link at the end) and if the bug still happens file a bug report if there isn't one already.

2. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Should the version number in the backend be different other than 2.8.1?

3. mahodder
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks Donncha for the quick update!

4. parkstreet
    Posted 14 years ago #

Nevermind. Donncha, you the man.

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

It seems to be OK so far Donncha, but then again I said that about the 2.8.1 beta

6. DaePunt
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is it possible to do this through the backend? Hack the wp-version.php file? What should I put in it?

7. jamescollins
    Posted 14 years ago #

Should the version number in the backend be different other than 2.8.1?

The WP version is still 2.8.1, but the WPMU version is 2.8.1-a-alpha.

The version.php file stores two different version numbers, and should be like this: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/branches/2.8/wp-includes/version.php

8. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

I honestly think that addslashes and stripslashes should be mirrored. And anything that adds slashes beyond my control (setters such as update_site_option) should remove them prior to returning my content to me (getters such as get_site_option) and this is entirely the wrong way to go.

If anything, this should be changed the other way in WP rather than inflicting an incorrect approach on everyone.

9. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

I agree cafespain, if it encodes data on the way in it should do it on the way out, or it should leave it up to me to do it both ways. Having it do it one way but not the other is just going to really make things confusing.

Frankly I think it would be better if WP automatically did addslashes and stripslashes in the background

10. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

cafespain, steveatty - it is annoying, but mostly the slashes appear from POST or GET data so it's something to bear in mind only then. Data generated by your app or plugin will go in and out looking the same.

11. flisespikker
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-mu/branches/2.8/ containing the same as the link you gave (note the missing s), Donncha? This one is without auth, but with read only. I tried this on a test server and it seems good. Is there any plans to let any one user "own" a theme, and give this user alone access to update it through the web interface? Or can I accomodate this in any other way?

When it comes to updating plugins and themes through the web interface, why do you need an ftp user? This could also be done with php directly.

Thanks for the good work!

Bjørge

12. jamescollins
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just to avoid any confusion, I thought I'd mention that WPMU 2.8.2 has been released instead of 2.8.1a.

WordPress released 2.8.2 (an urgent security fix), so the same was done with WPMU 2.8.2.

WPMU 2.8.2 contains all fixes listed here and here.

13. nkinkade
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just ran into this problem with slashes. The upgrade from 2.7.1 to 2.8.2 wiped out detection of site admins, so I couldn't do anything with the WPMU install. It turns out that the serialized data for site_admins in table wp_sitemeta had slashes, so the unserialize PHP function was returning false when the code tried to determine who was a site admin.

Does this change mean that we'll just have to wait for things to break and then remove spurious slashes from the database as we come across them? In this case I was able to add a stripslashes() before the problem area, then enter the site admin options area and simply hit the Update Options button and the code removed the slashes from the database.

Thanks for any clarification.

Nathan

14. anabelle
    Posted 14 years ago #

nkinkade detection of site admins is broken in my install too.

I can't quite understand how you fixed it. Can you please tell me?

Thank you.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from anabelle