The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Deleted original Admin user, now I can't access plug-ins (11 posts)

1. RocketPopScott
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey guys, I recently installed WordpressMU for a new site I'm working on. I created a new user after installation, gave myself Admin privileges, then deleted the "Admin" user, transferring all comments, posts, etc to my user.

So, now when I log in, I can't see Plug-Ins in my dashboard, and when I try to enter the direct URL for that page I'm informed that I don't have access to that "Page is disabled by administrator" which I obviously didn't do.

How can I fix this? The domain is hoopsjones.com

Thanks,
    Scott

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You have to leave the admin user there.

3. RocketPopScott
    Posted 14 years ago #

So now that I've deleted it, is there any way to add it back? Why can't you just create a new Admin like with the regular Wordpress app?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can make a new Site Admin user, and give them all privileges as well, but I haven't found where in the code it keeps looking for 'admin" to be there.

5. RocketPopScott
    Posted 14 years ago #

What files can I delete in the setup that will reset the users to the default? Or do I have to reinstall ALL of the Wordpress files? Jeeeez, what a pain. If they know you can't delete the "Admin" user without hosing things up, even with a NEW Admin assigned, then they shouldn't allow that user to be deleted...at least that would seem logical to me. But maybe I'm missing something...

6. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

Set your current new user to be the Site admin user.

You will need access to the database, look in wp_sitemeta for a line with a meta_key of site_admins. It will currently look like:

a:1:{i:0;s:5:"admin";}

You need to change the admin to be your new users name, and the s:5 to be the length of your new user. E.G.

a:1:{i:0;s:9:"spacetest";}

spacetest is nine characters long so I've changed s:5 - s:9

When you next login your new user will be the site admin user, and you can access the plugins menu.

7. RocketPopScott
    Posted 14 years ago #

Cafespain, you are AWESOME. Thanks for the advice, worked PERFECTLY. I knew there must be a way...

Thanks again.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good to know - i haven't had a chance to try it, just knew that people had issues.

9. omgitsrfb
    Posted 14 years ago #

worked for me as well, thanks

10. ideas4islam
    Posted 14 years ago #

i did the same but tel now i cant find the admin bar :(

Set your current new user to be the Site admin user.

You will need access to the database, look in wp_sitemeta for a line with a meta_key of site_admins. It will currently look like:

a:1:{i:0;s:5:"admin";}

You need to change the admin to be your new users name, and the s:5 to be the length of your new user. E.G.

a:1:{i:0;s:9:"spacetest";}

spacetest is nine characters long so I've changed s:5 - s:9

When you next login your new user will be the site admin user, and you can access the plugins menu.

11. Burv
    Posted 13 years ago #

Yeah, I get the same thing. I also tried (before making the change in SQL):

1. changing the admin_user_id in the sitemeta table to my new ID
    2. Making the 'admin' user a subscriber

However, I cannot delete the admin user, as I get an error message, and the Site Admin menu disappears when I run the SQL to replace the value in sitemeta.

Thoughts, anyone?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by RocketPopScott
  • Latest reply from Burv