The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

plugin panel issues - deactivation fails (5 posts)

1. agreda
    Posted 14 years ago #

I activated the Super Captcha plugin in an attempt to battle spam registrations. But after having issues with it -- a redirect loop upon sign up -- I attempted to deactivate it and couldn't. Now it simply will not go away! Here's what I mean ...

I attempted to de-activate the plugin and WPMU reported that it was deactivated, yet it's status still appeared as active. Clicking deactivate numerous times resulted in the same thing.

So, I deleted the plugin directory altogether. Then, upon loading the plugins panel, WPMU reported that Super Captcha was deactivated because it could not be found.

However ... now I am stuck with an empty "sitewide active plugins" box at the top of my plugins panel. No plugins are listed, only the deactivate link, which does nothing. Here is a screenshot.

If this is a residual issue from the plugin, any idea where I might clean it out from the database?

If this is a new WPMU bug, has anybody else experienced it?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FYI: I'm also running Plugin Manager, but had Super Captcha set to "none" and Mass Deactivate didn't do anything either.

2. agreda
    Posted 14 years ago #

PS: Any suggestions for a better solution to blocking spam reg are gladly welcomed!

3. leewells
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm not sure where that is coming from to be honest. This plugin only places one record in wp_options, and that is only a version number, everything else is handled by the wordpress core plugin handler.

There is a wp_scaptcha table, but it will not interfere with any other plugin or wordpress to my knowledge.

4. agreda
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the input.

FYI: The link URL for the "deactivate link" remaining in the empty site wide active plugin box included ...
    .../wpmu-sitewide-plugins.php?action=deactivate&plugin=super-capcha%2Fsuper-captcha.php&_wpnonce=599c807f75

So, I ...

1. Deleted rows from from wp_x_options table for all blogs:
    - scaptcha_db_version
    - scaptcha_options

2. Went to delete wp_x_scaptcha tables and they were already gone.

Problem persisted.

3. Checked wp_x_options tables row deactivated_sitewide_plugins and found it included the following...
    a:2:{i:0;b:0;s:30:"super-capcha/super-captcha.php";s:32:"db82c510d442fdd79f973149123b5f9d";}

4. Replaced deactivated_sitewide_plugins value for all blogs with a:2:{}

Problem persisted.

5. Searched db dumb and found active_sitewide_plugins row of site_meta table included...
    'a:1:{s:30:"super-capcha/super-captcha.php";i:1248211184;}');
    Replaced value with a:1:{}

6. Found deactivated_sitewide_plugins row of site_meta table included...
    a:2:{i:0;b:0;s:30:"super-capcha/super-captcha.php";s:32:"2d5c2a6b48400a9b5bfae80dd1636d9f";}
    Replaced value with a:2:{}

Problem resolved. Perhaps this bug is related to sitewide activation. If so, you might consider editing the install instructions to clarify.

5. leewells
    Posted 14 years ago #

agreda,

The plugin has had some reports about its uninstall and install abilities on older versions of Wordpress MU. What exactly is causing it, I don't know and haven't really taken much time to install a previous version of MU to really check it out. I'm only suggesting to people to upgrade their WP install or use a previous version of sCAPTCHA.

About this Topic