The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't Login to fresh 2.8.2 install (6 posts)

1. cinemaduro
    Posted 14 years ago #

Title says it all. I checked the forum for others with the same problem, but none have had a solution that works here. I've installed WP a gazillion times, but this is my first time with WPMU, and I'm floored right out of the starting gate.

I'm installing WP 2.8.2 into a subdirectory at softknocks.com/ermp (my testing website). The db seems to have been created fine. There's a config file where everything looks dandy, and an htaccess file that has been created during the install process (and an htaccess.dist file, which I'm unfamiliar with, but it looks similar to htaccess). My chmod is 755 and I get an email saying the site was created.

I can get to the login screen, but all it does when I try to log in is wipe out the info I entered as if I never entered it. It doesn't give me an error or anything. Same when I try and use the "forgot password" link.

If you try and load the site itself, you get a message saying there's been too many redirects and it's stuck in a loop. Then it says to clear cache/cookies and try again. This doesn't do squat.

I've even dumped my database and all my files and installed from scratch again just in case something got screwed up at some point, but I'm getting the same results.

Any wise soles out there have any words of wisdom?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you watch the address bar, it's flipping back and forth between the www version and the non-www version.

If you typed it in without the www (recommended), and the server is set up to redirect those requests, then yeah - looping allmighty. :)

3. sumdog
    Posted 14 years ago #

I did an upgrade from 2.7.1 to 2.8.2 and I can not login to any of my sites. I always use the non-www address (they all redirect there if you add www) and I can't login to any of them. I tried doing a reset password and had a new one e-mailed to me and I still can't login with in.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well that's odd, because as soon as I went there, it tried to find the www.

5. cinemaduro
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r, changing my server settings fixed it!

6. sunnnywantsome
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi i am a newbie can anyone help me out how to setup the server i am ahvin the same problem

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by cinemaduro
  • Latest reply from sunnnywantsome