The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing wpmu on the same server as wp (9 posts)

1. emil57
    Posted 14 years ago #

Is it ok to intall wpmu on the same server where I am currently running an active wp blog already?

my existing blog:
    http://www.example.com

wpmu folder:
    http://www..example.com/wpmu

Will this affect my current wp blog?

Thanks guys!

Emil
    (Costa Rica)

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

No, it won't affect your current blog, but you will have an issue on install. THe WPMU will find the config file for the main WP install, so you have to stop it from doing that.

http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/

3. emil57
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thank you very much for the response Andrea. Now I'll do my best to learn on how to do so :)

Cheers!

4. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep, I read that and it worked. It installed in a sub-directory, but when I punch in the link at a web browser, back to the wpmu install page...no matter what link I try. Any ideas? I'm getting the impression that this is a common problem that novice face as all the pro's won't respond to it. But hey, I could be wrong, I'm searching page by page till I find something. I'll let you know when I get to page 80 :)

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I'm getting the impression that this is a common problem that novice face as all the pro's won't respond to it. "

Uh, no.

Also, if it was common, I can assure you I would have covered it in the installing WPMU ebook I did.

6. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yep read the book and thank you. I got it installed, I'm just getting jammed up when trying to actually look at the link in a browser...only get the wpmu install page! Do you work for Wordpress? I notice your all over this thing solving everyone's problems. No matter, a thanks is in order.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

:D If they want to pay me, I'm open for that.

This particular issue is one I'd like to solve. I'm 99% certain it's the hosting environment. Any other hosts I've installed it on, I haven't run into this issue.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

...and answered in the other thread. It's the host.

9. roberthq
    Posted 14 years ago #

from another post:

I wanted to let everyone know what I learned from My WPMU and single install woes.

With Lunarpages I was able to install and run it on a shared server. It had to be installed on the root and I did get it to install in a directory, but it just won't run correctly. So I moved my previous single install of WP to a directory and installed WPMU on the root and everything works fine.

Hope this helps those of you trying to do something like this.
    RRG

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by emil57
  • Latest reply from robert@hqprints.net