The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

primary blog switcher questions (15 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

referring to this plugin: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/primary-blog-switcher-for-site-admins by dsader

Works fine so far but I have loads of users, which are only subscribers to the primary blog. now if I want to switch them over to the dashboard blog (as defines inside the site admin options) I click on their name, and on the page where I can edit their profile, I can't chose another blog as their primary one.

if I edit a user which belongs to multiple blogs I can select the primary one.

how about refining this plugin, so if a user is only a member in the primary blog, I can go to the edit user and chose in the drop down for his primary blog between the main blog and the dashboard blog? would make sense, right?

besides, how about not showing the main site admin user on top of the dashboard as having blog ID 1 as his primary blog? I won't change MY primary blog and it jsut takes up space there showing the admin user :-)

other wise thanks for this great plugin.

2. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've simply chopped and pasted the switcher as it appears on the My Blogs page from mu.php

Before selecting a primary blog, a user must already have a role for that blog.

The adding users to blogs is already built into the edit user profile page ...

While editing a user on the main blog, look at "Role: - no role for this blog" and add user to the main blog. Follow the links in the admin notice this plugin creates while on any blog, and you'll be adding the user to that blog. No need for more code, I figure.

Visit the dashboard of your dashboard blog, and follow the same edit user link and you'll be adding the user to the dashboard blog.

After they've been added, then select the blog as primary.

I haven't used this plugin long enough myself to warrant changes, I'll keep an eye out for changes/enhancement ideas.

Thanks.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok, thx for the plugin adn the feedback. if you keep using the plugin, please think about my ideas, it would simplify the process, one wouldn't have to jump around between the main blog and the dashboard blog.
    Also removing the site_admin from the display would clean up things, as after I "correct" all user's primary blogs, the site_admin is still showing in that list :-(

###edit###
    as it is now, I visit the dashboard blog, edit all the users showing on top of my dashboard one by one to make them subscribers to the dashboard blog, then head back to the main blog, edit the same lsit of users again to take away their subscriber role from the main blog and change their primary blog to be the dashboard blog, right? Seems liek a lot of back and forth...

4. dsader
    Posted 14 years ago #

You are describing the same tedium I experience. It is not easy at all to migrate users to and fro. The process was more a pain with only the paginated list of users at wpmu-users. I never have more than a couple hundred users in a term. I right click each user name in my browser to open as a new tab and let the server and the browser do the jumping around.

To remove the admin user from the notice modify the $query near the top of the plugin:

$query = "SELECT * FROM {$wpdb->users} WHERE ID !='1'"; // exclude "admin" user
  5. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

got another problem here:

I cleaned up spam blogs and blogs that had not been activated in the last 30 days and blogs that had no posts within the last 30 days and by mistake deleted my dashboard blog.

Now I have ~100 users which list the main blog as their primary blog :-(

Is there an easy way to move all these users to have the dashboard blog as their primary blog?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Site Admin -> options. reselect the dashboard blog and tell it to move users?

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

seems to have worked. sometimes the obvious solution doesn't spring to mind :-)

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 13 years ago #

it doesn't seem to move user automatically, anyone knows how moving users to the dashboard blog is triggered so I can manually trigger it? got 102 users who list the main blog as their main blog :-(

9. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Have any of them logged in recently? That should trigger it I would think.

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 13 years ago #

most of them I suspect are dead accounts but I can't delete them on a suspicion... for now they are cluttering up my dashboard, guess I'll have a little bit more patience ;-)

11. dsader
    Posted 13 years ago #

I have updated the Primary Blog Switcher, now version 1.3.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/primary-blog-switcher-for-site-admins

Tags blog, if using Donncha's plugin, and Dashboard Blog now in dropdown menu when editing a user profile as SiteAdmin.

Not a batch solution, but it appears to work for me one user profile at a time.

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 13 years ago #

seems to have worked, all those 101 users lsiting blog 1 as primary have disappeared...

Can you please tell me where I can find the menus added by your plugin? just not sure which ones were wpmu default and which ones added by your plugin :-(

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 13 years ago #

weird, I don't see any more users with blog 1 as primary, all 101 I was being notified of before upgrading this plugin are gone, to wherever as the dashboard blog only has 12 subscribers...

so where are they now?

14. dsader
    Posted 13 years ago #

The admin notice is on the SiteAdmin-->Admin page. This plugin won't assign users to any blog all by itself, you'll still need to edit each users' profile.

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 13 years ago #

ah, great.

before this update, the users were showing on my normal dashboard, cluttering it up, now its a far better location :-) thanks!

About this Topic