The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Move to WPMU? (5 posts)

1. NipponTico
    Posted 14 years ago #

I would like to request advice from the experts.

Recently I started a blog that is bilingual and will be trilingual soon. Time permitting, it might even become tetralingual. I have four WP installations for each language, which means I have to install the same widgets and themes three (four) times anytime I change anything.

Because we move quite a bit, we have come to the conclusion that blogging is the easiest way to keep people informed about our comings and goings.

My wife is also going to be blogging in three languages. My daughter will do the same as well. So far this amounts to 9 WP installations.

In addition, we plan to have a more detailed, password protected (multilingual) private blog where we will put family photos and videos only to be accessible by relatives and the closest of friends.

Despite what I read in other threads, it seems that it should be OK to install WPMU on a shared hosting account. I don't expect to have very heavy traffic. The private blogs containing video and photos would be accessible to no more than 120 people that are dispersed across four continents, thus they would not all access the blog at once.

I want to make the right choice before we get started on this. Since I read that the WP and WPMU platforms will be merged, it seems better to start in WPMU. Am I wrong?

If my only option is multiple WP installs, I might endure using iWeb and tweaking the site to control access to the private areas.

I look forward to learning from your wisdom.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, you should be fine, as long as your host allows it.

3. NipponTico
    Posted 14 years ago #

That was quick and painless. Thank you.

Another quick question. Is there a widget you or your colleagues recommend for automating mail notices about updates to the members of the private site?

BTW, Andrea saw your site. Very cool. Since you are a mom, do you mind if I ask whether there is a good place to find themes for a 5 year-old?

Now off to talking to 1and1.com (yuck!)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Good place for kid them,es: I just google 'em. I don't look for kid themes specifically, I keep tabs on a number of theme sites, including the official one at wordpress.org/extend/themes and basically let the kids pick. Or I may pre-select ones based on their interests then show them.

5. NipponTico
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for everything.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by NipponTico
  • Latest reply from NipponTico