The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Introduction and Complete Guide to MU WP Installation? (7 posts)

1. jigzyy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hello,

I am not new to WP, but I am definitely new to WP MU. I have 4 domains and I want them to be controlled with single Backend.

For Example:

example1.com
    exmaple2.org
    example3.net
    example4.biz

What should I do to make them all work together? I want to control all example2-4 from example1.com.

Should I install MU WP on example1 and simple WP's on other example domains or should I install MU WP on all 4 domains? I am so confused. can anyone please guide me on this.

Thanks

2. erikhetland
    Posted 14 years ago #

You can't use WP MU to control 4 blogs with one backend (as far as I know), but you can use it to have 4 blogs with 4 dashboards running on the same codebase, and easy to upgrade etc.

All you need to do, is to install WP MU on one of the domains, create 3 more blogs, and point your other domains to the addresses of the other blogs.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You need the domain mapping plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

While you will be using one WPMU install to control all the blogs, you still have to login to the backend of each to manage them.

install WPMU.
    install the domain mapping plugin.
    Set up your blogs.

holler if you get stuck.

4. jigzyy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Can I use 1 WP MU Installation to upgrade or Manage other WP Blogs? Like Plug-ins or WP Upgrades?

5. jigzyy
    Posted 14 years ago #

Important : I need only to update and manage wordpress structure (wordpress version and plugins versions) NOT the content.
    that is why I am looking for a single administration interface.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, the upgrade is done from one spot. Because you still only have one codebase to work with.

My advice is to actually install it somewhere, and poke around the backend.

7. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

Why not use DNS forwarding and masking? If you're just using the same content, wouldn't it be simpler?

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by jigzyy
  • Latest reply from tim.moore