The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade to 2.8.4a from 2.7.1 killing blog admin section (10 posts)

1. basszje
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm not sure if other people had the same problem, but I just had a killer time fixing this problem, so for all people also lost out there.

What happened: When upgrading manually from 271 - 284a suddenly my admin account ( superuser ) was denied access to all sites beside the main blog and the blog admin stuff disseapered.

How come? : After a while I figured out the site_admins option in wpmu_sitemeta was like this:
    a:1:{i:0;s:5:\"admin\";}

Apparently this didn't bother the old code or somehow it got set when upgrading, I'm not sure.

Solution: update site_admins field with this: a:1:{i:0;s:5:"admin";} without the " and it's fine again.

2. ZKWC
    Posted 14 years ago #

That happened to me too. I think it's happened to everyone.
    The only way I can get to the backend of the other users blogs now is to click on "blogs" and then the links below each blog "backend" - then I can get in. But, I used to be able to get in when I visited any blog (using buddypress) by rolling my mouse over "my blogs" when I was at the blog which needed moderating. Now that doesn't work anymore.

Weird.

3. basszje
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, above might be a fix for you then. It's resolved at my blogs, that's why I posted this topic.

4. hawaiian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Awesome basszje, I was going nuts trying to figure this out until I came across your solution, thanks!

5. erich73
    Posted 14 years ago #

I just tried to do an "automatic update" from WPMU 2.7.1 to 2.8.4a via the Dashboard interface.
    I did receive the following error-message:

-----------------
    Warning: copy(/www/htdocs/w00b604b/wpmu/wp-admin/includes/update-core.php) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /www/htdocs/w00b604b/wpmu/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 122

-----------------

I think this is just crazy ! So many people are using WordPress-software and this thing is not even properly coded ? It should be made much easier to upgrade !
    Probably they do this on purpose, so that people need to hire IT-experts in order to fix that stuff.......?

6. basszje
    Posted 14 years ago #

Or you need to do so ;) , your server is denying access to the installer. I need to download and -write- to your server and also to the temp directory ( php setting I believe ) . The map where it wants to write should also be mentioned somewhere.

It has nothing to do with above problem.

7. rsgrone
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK -- I am totally lame to all this, could someone be a little more succinct as to where to place/change that code e.g. on a page, or in a .php code page itself...

But I noticed that myself, if I went to the backend of a blog I was getting this "header error" message in the pluggable files

I have had a ton of problems with this upgrade and of course I am on an IIS server to boot -- and here I thought it was just me...

I would fix one and the error just sort leapt from one file to the next... I finally just threw up new copies of the files (fresh) renamed the wp-config to old and installed again so far at least I am up and running and will not be doing a thing until another fix comes out for all of this...

I attempted the automatic upgrade on the admin panel and it never would succeed (a blessing in disguise) so I forced it up there -- man two days fiddling around with this thing -- between this and that MyPHPAdmin thing, (I've simply reverted back to the old school method of going to the command prompt and the changes are "right there")

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Solution: update site_admins field with this: a:1:{i:0;s:5:"admin";} without the " and it's fine again. "

This fix is in the database, not the files. :) wp_sitemeta is the table you're looking for.

9. milordk
    Posted 14 years ago #

It turns out that the "curve" script update the database? interesting, but as we now carry out repair on the database?

It is one of the problems, but they really more ... even a clean install gives these problems ...

10. kgraeme
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have updated several installs from 2.7.x to 2.8.4a and haven't had this particular problem. However, I do not use the "automatic update".

We have seen various slashes "/" problems throughout the 2.8.x transition as they work to gradually merge the WordPress and WPMU code. It looks like this may be related. But again, I haven't seen it on several upgrades. I have done both SVN and FTP for my upgrades.

About this Topic