The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing Mu on GoDaddy... (25 posts)

1. michaeljloomis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Spent about two days off and on attempting to install wpmu in a subdirectory of my deluxe hosting account with static IP using an aliased domain name. Boy what a headache that was. No need to list the 500 different failed things that I tried. 8(

I then decided to try installing it in the root of my hosting account on the primary domain.

Yesssssssssss...It installed and fired up without a hitch. Just make sure you follow the directions to the T. Directions--> http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072

I would also suggest waiting at least a few hours after you set your wildcard before you attempt the installation. I'm not sure if propagation is an issue with setting up a wildcard but why suffer the frustration.

So anyways...Get your deluxe hosting with a static IP. Set up your wildcard on your A host. Go catch a dinner and movie. Then do your install when you get home.

Mike <-- Fan of GoDaddy 8)

2. STDestiny
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey Mike, glad to got it set up. I've noticed that godaddy's propagation seems to take a while. I'm actually running two wpmu sites off of godaddy shared hosting (well technically one plan is grid hosting, but basically the same thing at the moment) so I know where you're coming from

3. thekruser
    Posted 14 years ago #

Question...does this solve the issue with new blogs on subdomains not showing up?

I followed the instructions, but still having issues with new blogs giving 404 error. It only works if I add the subdomains manually in the hosting account and point them to the installation directory, but that seems to be a bit counterproductive.

To be perfectly honest, I am really getting tired of GoDaddy all together. Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!!

4. Katastimata
    Posted 14 years ago #

Probably a very good point was made here:

I then decided to try installing it in the root of my hosting account on the primary domain.

That is the only thing that I haven't done (and for various reasons I can't do). If that's the problem then it's completely silly!

5. justinkomhyr
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't think that you can get subdomain to work for mu on goaddy servers. WPMU uses virtual subdomains so you need to set up domain aliases.

Does godaddy servers let you edit dms entriesand the apache httpd.conf file?

6. thekruser
    Posted 14 years ago #

You cannot have access to the httpd.conf file with GoDaddy unless you pay for a dedicated server. Not even with virtual server. What you have to do is get a dedicated IP then create an "*" A record (without the quotes) pointing to the static IP. I argued with it for a week or so, but I finally got it to work. I had almost finished my blog post with a workaround, but now that I have found the way to do it right, I have to rewrite the post.

I have WordPress MU now fully functional on GoDaddy. Please let me know if you have any further issues. I will do what I can to walk you through it.

7. grantnieddu
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, I heart GoDaddy in general.

Read this, as well as the help file above.
    For the most part, have you all found installation pretty step-by-step? Not being a server administrator, I do not want to hop in and have some goofy life-altering error.

Can a simpleton blogger install this thing pretty easy and get it working? Thanks. Let me know

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

As long as you have the right account level, then yes. You should be able to do it. :) Any server-mucking up can be done by support.

9. bpizzy
    Posted 14 years ago #

@michaeljloomis - Does this only work if the domain name is the primary domain on the deluxe hosting account on GoDaddy or can the domain be mapped to a sub directory? Thanks.

10. devang23
    Posted 14 years ago #

i'm having trouble installing this to godaddy, does anyone have a simple step by step, the wordpress instructions are a little confusing to me.

11. RichonWordpressMU
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try finding a tutorial on youtube.

12. devang23
    Posted 14 years ago #

there arent any they have how to install it just there wordpress application.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

14. ravetildon
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey Andrea, Any chance you could try to make the wildcards part a lil more in depth and explain what you are doing...

15. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Haven't got around to it yet, mainly because it's also included in the readme.txt

16. ds1970
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm glad I found this thread. I created a subdomain on godaddy to test out wordpress mu/buddypress. Based on the instructions, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my hosting account.

17. virtuallymarj
    Posted 13 years ago #

What a puzzling GoDaddy day it has been for me. :)

I'm not a newbie to wordpress, but I am new to WPMU. That being said, working out the best way to get things done is normally not so challanging as it seemed today.

I secured a dedicated IP months back with anticipation of utilizing MU blogs for a project. My preference is to use subdomains and not folders.

I enabled wildcard dns on the domain of my preference, waited the appropriate length of time, and installed wpmu. The installation script complained that my DNS wildcard wasn't set up correctly. GoDaddy assured me that it was. I uninstalled and reinstalled WPMU again and received the same complaint.

I viewed it as a false-positive and proceeded. WPMU allowed me to create blogs but, when I tried to view them, I got an database connection error. This went away when I installed a plugin recommended by Andrea_R at this thread:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/14074?replies=36

But ... the url would only work if it was something like:

http://subdomain.domain.com/domain/

In desperation, I uninstalled WPMU and reinstalled it again using folders instead of subdomains. It works now but, as I said earlier, I would prefer subdomains and they are recommended.

Can someone please provide clear and succinct instructions for getting this to work at GoDaddy? I have an Unlimited Hosting account there and I've been with them since 2002. I'm kind of a fan so I'd rather not have to buy hosting at another service for these projects.

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips!

18. virtuallymarj
    Posted 13 years ago #

P.S. Maybe I need to know how to configure the domain mapping plugin.

Here are the domains:

http://www.healthierdecisions.com (mu with folders)
    http://www.impressiveinvestments.com (mu with subdomains ... not working)

If you ping them, you will see they both resolve to my dedicated IP address and not the server IP.

Sigh...

19. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

1. you have to get to sub-blogs working properly first. :)

2. the domains you want to map shoudl resolve the he IP address fo your MU install where they will live.

3. as experienced as I am with mu I shudder in horror at trying to work with it on goDaddy servers. Seriously. For people who *do* know what they are doing, it's a nightmare to work with.

That being said, all is not lost.

On the subdomain issue and them being recommended - it depends. If you're mapping the blogs anyway, it does not matter any more. It used to, but now it doesn't.

on godaddy and wildcard subdomains - they set it up so the wildcard subdomain is set for the *main* domain of your setup with them. So, if you're using another domain where the root of the site is in a subfolder, you'll get the folder name in the URL, as you have seen above. That's not a WPMU issue, it's a "goddaddy sets up servers this way" issue. The only way to fix it (or, IMO, do it properly) is to have a vps or dedicated, so you can edit the apache configs appropriately. Godaddy gets around people installing mu by telling them they "need" the dedicated IP. A wildcard subdomain can most certainly be set up on a shared IP, but mu is more resource intensive, so this is why GD makes you upgrade.

20. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

... and if you're installing multiple instances of MU, you may want to consider a multi-site plugin.

21. virtuallymarj
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks for your reply, Andrea.

As we all know, VPS and dedicated servers are pricey. It isn't time for that yet.

Your answer is clear, then it isn't. Are you saying there is no way to get subdomain blogs to work on GoDaddy shared hosting?

I do have wildcard subdomains set up and working on two domains in my account that are not the primary hosting account domain. On the WPMU installation which is working with folders, the default blog URL is a "/". On the WPMU installation limping as subdomains, it is the domain name. Both installations resolve to the dedicated IP.

My mention another plugin. Would that help?

22. virtuallymarj
    Posted 13 years ago #

P.S. On the subdomain installation (impressiveinvestments.com), no database connection can be established for blogs that are not primary on the installation. I can see the new tables in MySQL. What would be causing that problem?

23. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

My mention another plugin. Would that help?

Not with the initial problem, just a later suggestion to keeping it all straight. running multiple MU installs in one shared account is less than idea. If they are all maintained by you, and you plan on the same (or similar userbase and the same plugins & theme, then I'd suggest looking into it.

While I am not suggesting this is definitely the case right now, when WPMU first came out, GoDaddy deliberately crippled it from working on their shared accounts.

Are you saying there is no way to get subdomain blogs to work on GoDaddy shared hosting?

I'm suggesting there may be no good/easy way to get *multiple* subdomain installs working on one shared account on goddaddy.

As we all know, VPS and dedicated servers are pricey. It isn't time for that yet.

you can get a vps for $20 a month. If you are going to be running multiple mu installs, and you're running a business, a ten dollar a month account is not going to cut it. It may very well be getting close to that time.

24. moneymarketing
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am trying to install wordpress mu but get this error

I am using godaddy for my domain and the free hosting that came with the domain.

Warning: require_once(D:\Hosting\6144023\html/wp-settings.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\Hosting\6144023\html\wp-config.php on line 118

I am wondering is the issue my Database Host/Server Address ?

25. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

I am using godaddy for my domain and the free hosting that came with the domain.

GoDaddy requires you to use a static IP.

in other words, it won't work on their servers until you give them more money.

Considering they've been having hacking issues with ANY php script on their servers (3 rounds in the past month or two), I'd find someone else to host the actual site.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by michaeljloomis
  • Latest reply from andrea_r