The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Allow all users to upload images to main blog? (8 posts)

1. joshkadis
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm trying to create a site-wide photo gallery that displays images from all blogs within my site. One approach that occurred to me was to have all users upload images to the main blog's files folder, then create the gallery from there.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Or a different way to create a site-wide gallery?

It's a close site so I'm not worried about objectionable content, spam, etc.

Thanks!

PS - I'd like to do a similar site-wide gallery for video but that's a separate question, I think...

2. STDestiny
    Posted 14 years ago #

The same solution would work for both:

Use the site wide tags plugin, and have everyone on the site that wants to add pictures post them on their own blog with the tag "gallery". Then before the wordpress loop on the main blog just put in a query_posts(tag=gallery); to only pull posts with that tag.

You can do the same thing with video posts, or any kind of post really.

3. joshkadis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks for the reply. I'd prefer to create a true photo gallery, not an archive of posts that include photos. My current thinking is to:

1. Hack WordPress so that all blogs upload images to the main blog's files folder but saves auto-generated thumbnails in a different folder.
    2. Use this plugin to sync the main blog's media library with the content of the files folder:
    http://blog.tinywebgallery.com/category/wp-flash-uploader/
    3. Use some other plugin to create a gallery from the main blog's media library.

Any better ideas would be appreciated....

thanks.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

4. Figure out some way to pull the already-uploaded images out the subfolders under blogs.dir ?

5. joshkadis
    Posted 14 years ago #

Fortunately, the site is still in development so I don't have to worry about images that have already been uploaded. I think I've figured out the way to do #1a (all blogs upload to blogs.dir/1/files), will post here after more testing and figuring out #1b (thumbnails saved somewhere else)

6. pavelevap
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi, do you have any solution? I want to use pictures from galleries uploaded on main blog also on subdomains. Is there any hack or plugin? Thank you very much for your help...

7. fai714
    Posted 14 years ago #

A sitewide photos plugin would be great, any answers out there?

8. tinus2
    Posted 14 years ago #

that really would be one slick option!

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by joshkadis
  • Latest reply from tinus2