The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Database requirements for Multiuser Wordpress (4 posts)

1. alirezan82
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey guys,

Long time ago, I installed an older version of wordpress multi-user but was ddisppointed to see that, it needed so much database tables to be able to run properly.
    I remember that for each registered user it needed almost 5-6 tables (I might be mistaken about the actual figure) and so, say 5 tables, 100 users = 500 tables and I don't even wanna think about 1000 or more users! Since I am sure even on 64bit processor, MySql is gonna be painfully slow and it might even crash the server!!!

I would really like to see the database requirements of MU WP be optimised more. I am sure a few of those tables created for each user can be put together and made as 1 table. This would definately boosts the performance of the whole system.

Thanks

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

You're welcome to try but this would make it a *lot* harder to sync with regular WordPress. You could look at the Lyceum(sp?) project which does what you want.
    wordpress.com is hosting almost quarter of a million blogs, and even if there are multiple db servers that's a pretty good indication that this db layout is scalable!

3. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have currently 13000+ blogs in one database, and performance is not the main issue. MySQL eats around 1.5Gigs of ram. To me the main issue with the DB layout is for when you want to develop sitewide features and aggregate info from multiple blogs. It has however, other advantages.
    I actually think it's more scalable this way, because instead of having to use mysql replication, complex schemes of master/slaves etc., you can just dispatch your users to different databases when you actualy need to scale up.

4. AndWat
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think that Quentin hits the nail on the head when he says that "I actually think it's more scalable this way." Consider that:
    - WPMU is all about lots of blogs - if you have only a few blogs, you can use multiple WPs
    - WP.com is the leading WPMU site in multiple ways: number of blogs, amount of attention it gets from WP(MU) developers. The fact that it has quarter of a million blogs (congrats!) means that developer attention is sharply focused on scaling
    - one of the other things that Automattic does is offer services to corporations. Corporate clients tend to be big on scalability, if you'll excuse the pun.
    Reasons why you should ignore the above: I'm not a WP(MU) developer; I'm not a WPMU admin; I don't know how large a part of Automattic's business comes from, or will come from, the corporate sector.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by alirezan82
  • Latest reply from AndWat