The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing WPMU on GoDaddy Shared Hosting (37 posts)

1. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I'm new to wordpress in quite new to website building anyhow, and i'm sorry if this question was asked million times before, I just couldn't find the exact answer i'm looking for in the forums here.

I have a shared hosting account in Godday (deluxe hosting).
    It hosts about 10 domains (websites) like, example1.com, example2.com etc...
    It is structured like sub-directories, main domain, lets say example1.com is the root and all the others are sub-directories of the root:

\ - example1.com
    \example2.com\ - example2.com
    \example3.com\ - example3.com

I want to install WordPress Mu in order to manage all the content of my websites together from one instance of WordPress (posts, pages etc').

I'm quite confused what exactly i should do. I see instructions mostly about subdomains but i'm not using subdomains.

Please advice,
    thanks,
    Roy.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

godaddy WPMU info: http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072 make sure you have the right account.

Otherwise, when you get WPMU installed, you'll need a domain mapping or multi-site plugin.

The subdomain referecne is because when you create another blog in WPMU, it is a subdomain or subfolder blog before you map the second domain to it.

http://wpmututorials.com/plugins/donnchas-domain-mapping-plugin/

3. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

hi andrea,

Thanks for the replay.

i followed the instructions fully on http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072
    but still couldn't make a single wordpress mu installation manage all my websites together.

like i said before, i use the "domain aliasing" feature of godaddy, to host multiple websites - as subfolders of my primary domain.

like if example1.com is the primary domain, its files are in the root folder. and example2.com files are stored in /example2.com folder and when the visitor enters http://www.example2.com, it takes him to the correct website by showing the files in /example2.com folder.

hope you can help,

Thanks,
    Roy

4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

But it's WPMU. There won't be any files in a specific folder for each blog. they all exist virtually.

Make sure WPMU works. install the domain mapping plugin. If the WPMU install is accessible by the IP address, you're good.

Take the domain you want to map and make a new A record that points to the IP of the MU install.

Login to the sub-blog you want to map and go to the domain mapping menu. Fill in the blanks & save.

That's it.

5. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ok, here where I'm now, a bit confused :) :

1. I installed WPMU again in Sub-Domains mode (for the domain mapping to plugin to work)
    2. I can access this WPMU through the IP address (i have dedicated IP for my hosting account).
    3. I installed the domain mapping plugin.
    4. now, when i want to add new blog.. i can only add SUB DOMAIN blogs..
    but i'm not using subdomains. my websites are sub-directories of a main domain - like i said before.

So how can I define a new blog now ? (and map it to specific domain).

Thanks,
    Roy

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So you reinstalled it and said to use subdomins and it's still using subdirectories?

edit wp-config.php make sure VHOST=YES.

Then you have to make the subdomain blog first. Then map it.

If you had existing sub-blogs, they don't get switched over, you'll have to delete them or fix them.

7. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

I checked and VHOST = Yes
    i think u didn't understand me :)

i'm not using sub-domains because i'm using different domains.
    primary domain - myfirstsite.com
    secondary domain - myfirstsite.com/mysecondsite.com
    secondary domain - myfirstsite.com/mythirdsite.com
    etc...

GoDadday use domain aliasing to make it possible to host multiple domains on a single hosting account.

So you actually say I MUST create subdomain for each blog in the hosting account like mysecondsite.myfirstsite.com
    and THEN map it in WPMU to just mysecondsite.com ?

Thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding, i'm new to this,
    Roy.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"So you actually say I MUST create subdomain for each blog in the hosting account like mysecondsite.myfirstsite.com
    and THEN map it in WPMU to just mysecondsite.com ?"

YES. That's exactly what I'm saying.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

To clarify: don't use your hosting account to make the subdomain. just create the blog in MU.

10. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

andrea,

i'm creating a subdomain blog in the WPMU Site Admin --> Blogs .
    but its of course inaccessible because its not a real subdomain.

if i create a blog called blog.example.com (and example.com is my primary domain with the dedicated IP). you can't access it because its not a real subdomain.

so i can't login into it, and from there use the domain mapping feature.

what i'm doing wrong?

Roy.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"but its of course inaccessible because its not a real subdomain."

You didn't do all the steps in the readme for MU to work with wildcard subdomains.

You need an A record with a value of * in your DNS records. This was step 4 in the second section of the page I linked to. (http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072)

You may also need a wildcard subdomain for your domain in Apache's httpd.conf file. It's all outlined in WPMU's readme.txt file.

This is how MU "creates" subdomains. The only place they exist will be in the database. The wildcard records tell the server where to send the request.

When that works, the domain mapping will be a breeze.

12. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

we have progress :)

I defined the A record before, for some reason it disappeared.
    I fixed it. and now i can control all new blogs from the single MU installation with their "fake" subdomain.

great! thanks a lot!

now the problem is that they can only be accessed as subdomains and not the domain name i mapped it to.
    i'm trying to find out how to find access and edit the httpd.conf of the Apache.

Roy.

13. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

to be more accurate about the situation now:

after I created a new blog (subdomain), I can manage it, go to it's dashboard and so on from the WPMU.
    but when i click on Visit, i get 404 from the apache.
    it actually tries to access the mapped domain (like example2.com)
    but like this: http://example2.com/wpmu/wpmu/

wpmu is the WPMU folder in my root domain.

Roy.

14. webhostuk
    Posted 14 years ago #

I guess the problem either related to .htaccess or httpd config path .. post a support ticket it should be solved by your company itself.

15. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Again,

I reinstalled WPMU now in the root folder hoping this would fix the 404 problem. but no good news here.

If i map a domain with the domain mapping plug-in to a blog (virtual sub domain) and then I try to navigate to the domain name (ex. example.com) or the subdomain (ie. blog.example.com), I'm getting the following error from Apache:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

when I'm not using domain mapping, I can access the virtual subdomain url without problem.

Please advice,
    Thanks,
    Roy.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

And you have the mapped domain pointing to the IP of the MU install? And if you go to the IP address it shows the MU install?

17. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

I didn't understand you first question:

And you have the mapped domain pointing to the IP of the MU install?

anyway, when i'm accessing the IP address in the browser I get something like this:

Greetings Site Administrator! You are currently allowing 'none' registrations. To change or disable registration go to your Options page.
    Registration has been disabled.

the url is translated to: http://mydomain.com/wp-signup.php?new=11.11.11.111 ( the 11... is just example, its the IP address)

BUT, when i'm visiting this url : http://mydomain.com
    directly in the browser, i'm getting the main WPMU page, with Site Admin, Logout etc'... options.

Roy.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

For the mapped domains, go to the domain registrar.
    Add an A record.
    Put in the IP of your MU install.

19. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

didnt help.

well.. let me write what i have in my DNS settings (A Records):
    (XXX is just for the post of course)

@ 97.74.145.XXX
    * 97.74.145.XXX

my goal: to allow access to the VIRTUAL subdomain that WPMU created, through a standard domain name.

thanks,
    Roy.

20. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes, I know what you want to do, I've done it quite a few times myself. And on Godaddy.

And that is the A record for the *second* domain? The one you want to map, NOT the domain WPMU is on?

21. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ahh i got what you mean now :)

no, its probably the A record for the primary domain (with the WPMU installation). that's because its shared hosting. multiple websites on the same account.
    I've got dedicated IP only for the primary domain the account.
    I think this is the only option with shared hosting at Godaddy, isn't it?
    correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
    Roy

22. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"I've got dedicated IP only for the primary domain the account."

The dedicated IP has to be on the WPMU domain.

Otherwise, you'll have to do it differently than the A record way. (I gotta go look it up...)

23. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

yeap, the dedicated IP is on the WPMU domain.
    and only there...

24. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, again: go to the domain records for the domain you want to map.
    Add an A record pointing to the IP of the WPMU install.

25. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi andrea,

good morning. i dont think i can set an A record for the domain i want to map.
    can i ?

because godaddy's shared hosting only let you do it on the primary domain of the account, i think...

Roy.

26. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Go to GoDaddy.
    Pick the second domain off the list.
    Click on Total DNS records.
    there you can edit the A record for the domain you want to map.

27. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

done.

now when i remove the domain mapping in the WPMU --> tools --> domain mapping , of the virtual subdomain, i can access the blog by using Visit from WPMU admin (which goes to the virtual domain url).

but when i map the virtual domain from the WPMU --> tools --> domain mapping to the domain name i want, i'm getting 403 error 'Forbidden..."

Roy.

28. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

another thing: i inserted a new A record for the second domain with the * value which points to the IP of the WPMU installation.

please note that also the WPMU installation domain, includes this A record (which i added before..)

Roy.

29. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ask your host.

30. rvarum
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok...

thanks for trying to help.

Roy.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by rvarum
  • Latest reply from brian7997