The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

regular WP in sub directory of WPmu install (wacky wednesday!) (4 posts)

1. ebellempire
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

Unlike most of the other related posts I've found, I already have WPmu installed in a root directory and need to install regular old WP on the same server in a subdirectory. (I won't bother getting into why I need to do this unless you really need to know, so please don't get hung up on it. Just trust me that it's necessary.)

My fear is that I could run into the following problems:

1. Installation problems that could crash WPmu or mess up the database. (It's a live site used by academics for course management, so breaking is unacceptable.)
    2. Post-installation interference. (Is there some way to ensure that the two platforms never become aware of one another?)

Not that it should matter on this one but my hosting account is with GoDaddy (Unlimited plan).

Thanks a bunch for all your help so far.

Erin

2. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Installing one of them in a subfolder only affects the program in the subfolder. the one in the subfolder looks up a dir for a config file, so you'll have to do this:
    http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/
    Just reverse it and make the little hack in the single WP in the folder.

If they are using separate databases, then the other one is not affected. They're separate.

It would be the same if you were installing any other program in a subfolder. If the databases are separate, and each have their own config, then there's know way for either one to "know" about the other.

3. ebellempire
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

I don't see that code in the wp-blog-header.php file, as suggested in the tutorial. Regular WP has this:

<?php
    /**
     * Loads the WordPress environment and template.
     * @package WordPress
     */

if ( !isset($wp_did_header) ) {

$wp_did_header = true;

require_once( dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-load.php' );

wp();

require_once( ABSPATH . WPINC . '/template-loader.php' );

}

?>

Could it be in wp-load.php? Maybe this?:

if ( file_exists( ABSPATH . 'wp-config.php') ) {

/** The config file resides in ABSPATH */
    	require_once( ABSPATH . 'wp-config.php' );

} elseif ( file_exists( dirname(ABSPATH) . '/wp-config.php' ) && ! file_exists( dirname(ABSPATH) . '/wp-settings.php' ) ) {

/** The config file resides one level above ABSPATH but is not part of another install*/
    	require_once( dirname(ABSPATH) . '/wp-config.php' );
  4. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just as an update, after actually going and doing it: There isn't any corresponding lines in single WordPress. Install it in a folder just like you would on any other site.

As long as the folder name doesn't match any permalinks on the WPMU site and you're using a separate database, you're good.

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by ebellempire
  • Latest reply from andrea_r